worn out rear spring ?

11 replies to this topic
  • bork

Posted July 22, 2005 - 07:27 AM

I bought a rear spring about 1-2 years ago and seems like it is really spongy/soft now. I got an eibach. presume they are good quality ? Anyone else experiance same problem ? I now scrape fender easily and have shock just rebuilt with new bumper , and still have problem. Last time I checked sag it was ok ( didnot have full water in camel back)

• roadcam

Posted July 22, 2005 - 07:49 AM

supposedly, the Eibach springs are supposed to hold their rate for many years, or so they say ... but anybody can have one miss heat-treat or somehting (I had a Buck knife once that was as soft as aluminum, they said it missed a treat process, and replaced it ) ... just a guess :applause:

• AHRMA17L

Posted July 22, 2005 - 08:07 AM

Wearing out a spring on a dirtbike is virtually impossible from an engineering standpoint. This is illustrated but the simple fact that sag is still fine. I won't go into the engineering details of metal fatigue and stress relaxation, but suffice to say that in a motorcycle application, especially the rear suspension, you would encounter more surface wear than cycling stress.

One of three other things are the culprit. First to consider is that the suspension fluid (oil) is worn out. Two, the internal parts of the shock have exceeded thier tolerances (worn out). Three, the shock has lost some of its nitrogen charge.

Send the shoch out to a reputable rebuilder and it will be good as new.

• bork

Posted July 22, 2005 - 06:33 PM

When I started eating my rear fender , I decided to get bumper reinstalled and rr shock . And he is a reputable rebuilder. But still have problems.

• MrShred

Posted July 22, 2005 - 10:11 PM

Check your sag! If your spring is sacked out you won't be able to set it properly, or will have to use mucho preload.

• goblin127

Posted July 23, 2005 - 06:40 AM

I wound second what AHRMA17L says.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • frankstr

Posted July 23, 2005 - 07:00 AM

Yes, Its hard to believe that the spring is worn out, I would be looking for problems elsewhere as already stated.......

• bork

Posted July 23, 2005 - 10:58 AM

I think I'll increase preload more. What happens if you only have 5mm of free static preload of bike weight? I presently have about 25mm.

• irondude

Posted July 23, 2005 - 11:07 AM

I bet you need more nitrogen. all the shocks should have the nitrogen pressure checked at least once a year--although almost no one does it! Its super easy to do...

You might also be experienceing shock fade while riding--especially if you are doing longer rides or you've been eating lots of donuts lately....

Its not the spring.

• bork

Posted July 23, 2005 - 02:23 PM

no donuts, but lots of pizza!

• Winkel

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:50 PM

I agree with Ahrma (spelling?). The spring is probably fine. It sounds like your shocks dampening ability is in question. Have the shock portion checked out.

Winkel

• wr450fyamaha

Posted July 25, 2005 - 06:12 PM

is the spring gettin soft or are you gettin heavy? put on 30 pounds and it is liable to sag a little more.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.