crazy jetting?

4 replies to this topic
  • fowler175

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:01 AM

OK, so I just changed the head gasket in my 04 yzf450, got it all back together, and now it won't run. However, while I had it apart, I changed the pilot from a 45 to a 48 because of a bad low speed popping when I let off. I had assumed that this was due to a lean condition in the slow curcuit, but maybe it wasn't? Could I be way to rich now and that's why it won't fire. I just bought it and still don't have a manual, so I don't know what the stock jetting is. What I DO know is that I have a very healthy spark, the timing is correct yet when I pull the plug, it is soaked. Even after draining the carb and kicking repeatedly with WOT, the best I could get was a half-assed backfire out the exhaust :applause: . I will be changing the pilot back today to try it again. Sound like I'm on the right track? or is there something else I should be looking at. BTW, the bike is currently running a 172 main, 45 pilot, 72 whatever it is, fuel screw @ 1 3/4 and I have yet to check the needle (will do that later today). Is this way outta wack or pretty close to average. Oh, the bike is bone stock otherwise. Thanks for any info

• Math

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:59 AM

I have no experience with the 450s but from what I see there, you are definately not on the lean side...

Have a look at the yamaha-motor website and find the parts catalog. By clicking on the carb, you'll be able to see the stock jets (they are labelled "STD" in the table just beside the part number).

The 72 is your starter jet... I think 72 is stock. I would guess your 45 pj is stock as well. I don't think the 172 main is stock though but I could be wrong. The 426 were running 162 mains at sea level.

Also consider that you are in BC... which means high humidity I guess. This tends to "artificially" richen the mix as oxygen is partly conjugated with water making it less available for combustion.

Are you at see level or do you ride the Rockies?

Go back to your 45 and try to adjust with the fuel screw before going to the 48 pj.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • spdfrek

Posted July 22, 2005 - 07:46 AM

id say your prolly rich on the main,your pilot might be just fine though.I swapped out the stock pilot to something richer in my 450 because it was too lean.I think i went to either a 48 or a 50 but im not sure off the top of my head.

• David37

Posted July 23, 2005 - 09:55 PM

Obviously, you have some type of rich condition, remove your choke, clean and lightly lube the plunger and reinstall. I would also check you float bowl height, sounds like it might be to high. Lastly, make sure you have enough play in your throttle cable to prevent the carb. slide from lifting prematurely due to lack of throttle cable play.

• spdfrek

Posted July 23, 2005 - 11:31 PM

lemme ask this,before you changed the pilot out,how did the bike start when cold?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.