D.I.Y pipe welded up and on

11 replies to this topic
  • bluebike1999

Posted July 21, 2005 - 06:26 PM

just got back from muffler shop, pipe mig'd up, stuck it straight on and out the paddock and up the road.
sounds great on deceleration and over jumps, seem to be able to pick it up in 4th easier, i'm sure it was 'cleaner' and faster in top end ( speedo is dodgy from too many high speed wheelie landings),
seemed to start a little easier and did'nt need hotstart after riding hard for a while.
. $39 aus is good value too.
i noticed that after only 5-8 km of riding there was black soot inside the pipe, you should be able to see finger mark in one of the photo's. would this indicate it is too rich. someone did suggest this when i had another problem starting.
http://img.photobuck...99/DSC00070.jpg

http://img.photobuck...99/DSC00069.jpg

what do you think?
thanks

• gregwr450f

Posted July 21, 2005 - 06:44 PM

At least you had fuel this time :eek: :applause:

• bluebike1999

Posted July 21, 2005 - 06:59 PM

yeah thanks, and no water in it.

• gregwr450f

Posted July 21, 2005 - 07:13 PM

Can you get the end of the pipe rolled back to make it look nicer......................................... if you care about that sort of thing.

• bluebike1999

Posted July 21, 2005 - 07:24 PM

yeah i should cause now my mates will have to see it from that angle more often.................
I did mean to get the muffler guy to put a slight flange on the end to make it look more bought, but i was in too much of a hurry to get home and try it. might see if i can get a small chrome extension though, that might look the part. looks are lower on my priority but you're right it does need something.

• RichBaker

Posted July 22, 2005 - 02:21 PM

Yes, a sooty pipe outlet means you're too rich...prob'ly due to more back pressure ;8^P

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dkwok

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:56 PM

hi,
can pls tell us wat u did to ur wr pipe,
wats the diameter of the welded on outlet& how long is it,
thanks. :applause:

• bluebike1999

Posted July 22, 2005 - 11:15 PM

the plate inside the pipe has a hole to hold the out let pipe. it's not welded but it does have a collar on it. I removed it and cut a 37mm hole in the end plate for the pipe to fit through. the pipe i put in is 38mm ( up from 26) it is approx 250mm long and goes through the plate in the pipe. I also drilled two 10mm holes in the plate inside to let it flow better..
hope that makes sense
good luck

• bluebike1999

Posted July 22, 2005 - 11:19 PM

if you look at pics on here it may help.
http://www.thumperta...51&parentpage=3

• dkwok

Posted July 23, 2005 - 06:38 AM

thanks,
somebody else did something similar,
hope he didnt mind i post his link here,
www.dirtbike.ws/node/4734

• bluebike1999

Posted July 23, 2005 - 03:46 PM

yeah that's exactly how i got the old outlet out. great minds think alike, only that guy has a bit more class than me. looks good polished and with a bit ofa lip on it. wish i'd seen that before, but anyway, i would have done the same thing.
thanks for that.

• bluebike1999

Posted July 23, 2005 - 04:02 PM

I feel i should note, that i enlarged the hole in the baffle with a conical shaped grinding bit ( i said 37 mm in previous post because i pressed it in so it would be tight and not vibrate if/when the metal heated and expanded)in the drill and the outlet pipe goes through the baffle, where that guy said to line up the hole. don't now what difference that would make, but i put a couple of 10mm holes in the baffle too. definitely going to polish.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.