Chain Help

7 replies to this topic
  • dtrip2

Posted July 21, 2005 - 03:06 PM

I just purchased a 2005 WR450 for dual sport and a supermoto use. I have converted it to supermoto with the stock gearing. However, I have decided to change the rear sprocket, which will then require a shorter chain. I mainly ride motocross and have never had an O Ring chain, so the care and maintenance is new to me. I think I have figured that out with previous posts, however my next question is what tool do I need to press the stock chain apart? Is press fit better that a traditional master link? Can I put a master link in to ease removal? :applause:

Thank you for all your help.

• Texas4play

Posted July 21, 2005 - 07:40 PM

Go to your local cycle shop and get a good chain breaker and master link (press on style is better than clip, esp for what your doing). Just be sure not to cut it too short. Make sure you get on rings in there too

• Matty05

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:27 AM

Press fit or "rivet link" is the strongest way you can link a chain.

I am thinking about master linking my chain so I can pull it off to clean it properly.

• MattyH

Posted July 24, 2005 - 05:15 AM

o-ring chain requires less maintenance than non o-ring chain so you shouldn't need to soak it or anything cos there is lubricant trapped inside the o-rings. myself, i'd go the rivet link, just my $0.02.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • farkawi

Posted July 24, 2005 - 05:58 AM

It is true that riveted connecting links are stronger. However, I've been wrenching on my own bikes for over 30 years and have yet to have a clipped master link fail. For ease of maintenance & gearing changes I will replace the stock chain on my WR with a chain that has a clip style master.

• rushfan

Posted July 24, 2005 - 07:15 AM

I've never seen a supermoto WR. Can you post some pics??

• TwoBobRob

Posted July 24, 2005 - 11:38 AM

I have an '03 450 in both SM and dirt setups, I use two chains and splitlinks in both, absolutely no problems so far. I took a grinder to the pins to start, then used a regular chain tool to finish the job off...

• tp3dxf

Posted July 26, 2005 - 02:36 AM

I just purchased a 2005 WR450 for dual sport and a supermoto use. I have converted it to supermoto with the stock gearing. However, I have decided to change the rear sprocket, which will then require a shorter chain. I mainly ride motocross and have never had an O Ring chain, so the care and maintenance is new to me. I think I have figured that out with previous posts, however my next question is what tool do I need to press the stock chain apart? Is press fit better that a traditional master link? Can I put a master link in to ease removal? :applause:

Thank you for all your help.

If your able to get it dual sported let us know.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.