Best Chain?

39 replies to this topic
  • spdfrek

Posted July 23, 2005 - 03:09 PM

the oil also soaks into the orings,keeps them soft and sealing well,its not just about keeping it lubed inside :applause:

• Radbuster

Posted July 23, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Gray, care to comment?

I have a question on the subject I really haven't come to terms with. I ride all year round on hardpack, wet sand, mud, etc. and have gone through a bunch of chains and sprockets. Since the Rekluse went on things have become better, but still. Next on will be Ironman with a Regina ORS. If that doesn't hold, nothing will.

My chains tend to gum up after a few rides with a mix of chain lube and dirt and becomes worse and worse. I've tried engine oil but that just flings off and messes up the bike. The white type of that comes on OEM chains may be great at lubricating but seems the worst at attracting dirt. Regular o-ring chain lube from the known brands seem ok.

The chain I have on now is on it's last leg, so I wanted to experiment. I removed it from the bike, washed in degreaser, rinsed in hot water, dried with compressed air and lubed up again with chain lube. This process would be my favorite one, because afterwards it looks like a million $$, but on the other hand maybe I just killed it, thanks to some degreaser creeping past the o-rings and messing up the little grease that was in there.

Should I get the best non-o-ring, the Regina RX3, or learn to live with an awful looking chain or continue with the degreasing once a month?

Any ideas would be very helpful, thanks.

• grayracer513

Posted July 23, 2005 - 04:01 PM

the oil also soaks into the orings,keeps them soft and sealing well,its not just about keeping it lubed inside

Gray, care to comment?

Sure. A good chain lube will do the same thing. It would need to lube the pins and bushings before it would interest me.

My chains tend to gum up after a few rides with a mix of chain lube and dirt and becomes worse and worse. I've tried engine oil but that just flings off and messes up the bike. The white type of that comes on OEM chains may be great at lubricating but seems the worst at attracting dirt. Regular o-ring chain lube from the known brands seem ok.

This is why a lot of people only use WD40 (not me). Choosing a chain lube based on how clean it is in place is a key point. Go back and review my comments above on this. Meantime, the 4th picture down in this write up:

http://members.cox.n.../wearplate.htm

is a picture of my chain after a day's ride. Not too dirty. And, as I said, it gets degreased with Simple Green and a garden hose every ride.

Should I get the best non-o-ring, the Regina RX3, or learn to live with an awful looking chain or continue with the degreasing once a month?

I choose none of the above. Get the right lube and clean it weekly the easy way.

• MisterMan

Posted July 23, 2005 - 08:27 PM

Should I worry about length when going from a 49 to a 51 rear sproket?

they say to add 2 links to the stock # for every tooth ya add.

so say your stock is a 114 link, get a 118 links.

peace.
--Denny

• David37

Posted July 23, 2005 - 09:46 PM

Regina is a good chain but if it was my $$, I would recommend Sidewinder/Krause O ring chains, yes they are expensive but you can expect 2-3 years of use, as long as you maintain it properly. I also have had good luck with RK O-ring chains.

• spdfrek

Posted July 24, 2005 - 10:45 AM

The mineral oil however,is biodegradable and easy to clean off the outside of the chain,many chain lubes are not.

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 24, 2005 - 05:04 PM

If money is no object, the DID ERV2 x-ring cannot be beat, but it's pricy and you'll need a revit tool to install it. The DID VM series x-ring is also outstanding, as are the Regina chains. Really most of the big name chains are good; I personally prefer the sealed (x-ring, o-ring, etc..) chains for long life.

• Smiticus

Posted July 24, 2005 - 10:17 PM

You guys rule. I will never again wonder about the selection of chains and the lubrication thereof!! And thanks MISTERMAN, for answering my question!

I'll probably hit up a regina o-ring and go from there.

Thanks again for all the input.

• spdfrek

Posted July 24, 2005 - 11:24 PM

stock chain and LOTS of sticky lube is the best way to go :applause:

i ran sidewinder on my rt180....stuff is good,but spendy.I had planned on running sidewider on my 450,but i have 40 hours on that renthal,and the sprockets still look new...why spend that much more money for sidewinder?

• phat_450f

Posted July 25, 2005 - 01:45 AM

i like the renthal r3 o-ring chain. i have never had a problem with it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2005 - 08:02 AM

thanks MISTERMAN, for answering my question!

About chain length? Do you really think you need to add two links (1 1/4") of chain to make up for each tooth (increases the sprocket diameter by 1/4")? Let me know how that works out, OK?

• Yak

Posted July 25, 2005 - 08:23 AM

I've been using an RK X-ring for the past year with no problems. Only adjusted once after first ride. I dont see a need to get anything more expensive unless you want the blingin' gold links.

• MotoGoalie

Posted July 25, 2005 - 10:09 AM

Did you know that you actually do have a Regina chain? They make the chains for Renthal. The only difference is the price and the name.

Soaking in oil is a bad idea whoever recommended it, IMO, because it results in an oily chain, which attracts dirt, it requires a couple of days to completely dry, and still won't do anything to lube the interior of the chain.

Maxima Chainwax seems to me to be a perfect mix of anti rust preventative and non-messy.

• grayracer513

Posted July 25, 2005 - 10:42 AM

I use their "Synthetic Chain Guard". Works very well.

• spdfrek

Posted July 25, 2005 - 11:02 AM

I have yet to lube my chain....seems to be doing fine :applause:

• ISBB

Posted July 25, 2005 - 03:28 PM

I didnt get the DID i got the RK instead... had to beat the guy down at the MX shop.. wanted to sell me a RK for 83 bucks... i told him w/ overnight shipping i can have a did x ring in my hands for that much... :applause: he scuffled a little and knocked the price down to 2 bucks more than what i could of gotten the did for.. I have yet to ride it damn wind and rain in glamis spoiled it for me... ohh well.. next time i spose

• Bubie450

Posted July 25, 2005 - 03:31 PM

Chain Saw chains work great!!!

• CRFThumper

Posted July 25, 2005 - 03:43 PM

ERV-2 nuff said!!!!!! :eek: :applause:

• Slowmotion426

Posted July 26, 2005 - 08:51 PM

After reading this, my next chain will be an 0-ring.

• Smiticus

Posted July 27, 2005 - 01:08 PM

Grayracer, I'll let you know how the chain works out with the links and crap!! :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.