XR 650 L: Loosing Oil?

5 replies to this topic
  • easton_kooka

Posted July 21, 2005 - 02:07 PM

I'm concerned it seems like my XR-L is using/loosing oil. I can go from 3/4 the way up the dip stick to not even showing after 200 miles on the road.
Bike is in Supermoto trim, stock engine (16,000 mi), rejetted with filter & pipe. Inside of the airbox isn't oily so I don't seem to be pumping it out, it doesn't smoke, and I can't find a leak. I check the oil by warming it up, turning it off waiting 30s to 1minute and the check. What's up am I crazy or what?

• khelton

Posted July 21, 2005 - 04:31 PM

Have abuddy watch it when you let off and come on the gas, that's when you will notice the blowby. Rings and valve guides tend to be the issue but it doesn't blow oil out the exhaust all the time. My rings went bad about a year after converting to SM....they get pretty hot.

• Red4x4neck

Posted July 21, 2005 - 04:31 PM

might want to wait a little longer on the check time

my $.02

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted July 22, 2005 - 07:01 AM

I had the same prob. I wasnt waiting long enough. Even droped the oil and found sure enough it was all their.

• ghoti

Posted July 22, 2005 - 08:57 AM

It's pretty much a black art, barely understood, rarely mastered. I would suggest after a oil and filter change, (put in the recommended amount, 2.2 quarts I think, make sure you measure it), get it nice and hot, shut it off and with the bike vertical, not on the side stand, check the dipstick as quickly as possible. Use this as a reference and repeat when you check the oil level. I can never get the same thing twice on mine, and all bikes have a different rate of oil seepage back through the pump, so keep the time alfter you shut it off and check constant. Seems like temperature also plays a part in the level.

• easton_kooka

Posted July 25, 2005 - 09:57 AM

Thanks for the help. I'm looking towards the rings since I've been pretty consistent with the oil level timing check (within 10-15 secs). Especially since I've been abusive to this motor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.