YZ storage

10 replies to this topic
  • tnl

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:47 AM

I'll be out of commision for probably a month or so. Are there any storage requirements that I need to do to preserve my bike like drain the carb.? Say let the bike run with the gas valve off till it dies.
Thanks

• Stonie426

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:52 AM

tnl,

Fully drain tank and carb. Wind the kick starter upto compression (this closes all the valves to stop moisture entering the cylinder and takes the pressure off the valve springs). Put bike on a stand.

Stonie426.

• viggen

Posted July 21, 2005 - 09:15 AM

is it needed when t's only going to be sitting for a few weeks? I don't beleive gas brakes down that quick, but maybe I am wrong??

I would think just throw it on a stand & that's it :applause:

• fastenuf4u

Posted July 21, 2005 - 09:33 AM

tnl,
I doubt 1 month is long enough to go to drastic measures for "long term" storage. My bike has been sitting on my trailer in the garage for at least a month at a time when I couldn't ride and she fires up with 2-3 kicks. I do drain the fuel out after it has sat that long and replace it.

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2005 - 09:46 AM

is it needed when t's only going to be sitting for a few weeks? I don't beleive gas brakes down that quick, but maybe I am wrong??

I would think just throw it on a stand & that's it :applause:

A month is a pretty short time, alright, but it's hot in Mississippi. I won't take that long to drain the carb (there's a little screw there on the bowl for the purpose) and the tank. Modern pump gas can't always be trusted to hold up very well in storage, really. Most times, it will be OK, but I've seen it turn into an unidentifiable (and even non-flammable) liquid in a month before.

Closing up the valves is a habit you should always have.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MisterMan

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:10 PM

put bike on stand, flatten tires...pull out choke.... put at beg. of compression....drain entire tank, chain it up so it wont get stolen.

• grayracer513

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:28 PM

Why pull out the choke?

• cowboyona426

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:41 PM

Here's a little trick I use to close the valves and set the piston to TDC- put the bike in first gear and pull it backwards until the front tire starts to lift up. Put it back in neutral and throw it on the stand :applause:

• MisterMan

Posted July 21, 2005 - 09:36 PM

Why pull out the choke?

....wait..../w/ these bike do they have a valve that closes half of the throat in the carb to create a ritcher mixture????...if so, thats why, it closes theintake into the carb.

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2005 - 07:29 AM

Nope, the "choke" is an enrichment valve, like a two-stroke carb, not a true choke plate.

• snow

Posted July 22, 2005 - 11:57 AM

Don' you want to keep the tank full during storage so the moisture or water doesn't collect. I always fog my snowmobile engines. Also if you ever get to talk to a airplane guy they will tell you that when they tear down old WWI aircrafts the carbs look like new because of the AV Gas so I put a 50/50 mix of that in the tank too or I run sea foam.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.