Bone fractures..whats heal time?

34 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha35

Posted July 20, 2005 - 11:11 PM

I have minor fracture of my Tibia that I suffered from a cased double on July 2nd. My Dr. seems to be quite the popular guy and is extremely difficult to get a hold of. I was wondering how long do fractures take to heal? Weeks, Months...a year? I am currently walking on it, just can't go to work and definitely can't ride. Anybody got experience with leg fractures?

• boomman

Posted July 20, 2005 - 11:47 PM

I just got a stress fracture in my foot and the Dr. said it takes 2 weeks for the bone to spot weld and 6 weeks to mend. Don't know if that's for all breaks though.

• Yamaha35

Posted July 21, 2005 - 12:03 AM

WOW...thats a long time! Have you passed the 2 week mark yet? Did you still feel pain after 2 weeks when walking? Mine's a bit diff. than a foot as I fractured the tibia at the knee. I don't know how bad yet. Supposed to find out friday.

THX for the reply though

• K-fab

Posted July 21, 2005 - 04:08 AM

Collarbone (5 times now) - 5/6 weeks
wrist - 5/6 weeks
ribs - 3/4 weeks
little finger - 6/7 weeks and still hurts/doesn't work quite right 10 weeks later
left heel - 12/14 weeks (but I was walking when I wasn't supposed to)
Figure at least 6 weeks if it's just a crack, maybe more if it's worse. If the bone didn't displace, just shows a break, then it will be quicker than one with ends that don't line up quite right anymore.

• danman

Posted July 21, 2005 - 05:05 AM

I sustained a tib/fib fracture on April 2nd this year. I spend 8 weeks in a cast up to my boys, then 4 weeks in a walking boot. I have been in shoes for about 2 weeks, but I can't ride for another 2 months minimum.
At my last appointment, I could see substantial bone growth, but I could still see way too much break with very little growth. I am going to wait the full 6 months before I get back on, just to be safe.
Keep in mind here that my break was pretty bad as it was a spiral fracture(basically twist it til it breaks). Yours may not be that bad, but you will still need to take time. Better to take the time off and let it heal rather than rebreak it worse and possibly have to have surgery!
And here is mine after 6 weeks for your viewing pleasure:
OUCH!
Posted Image

• Flynall

Posted July 21, 2005 - 05:35 AM

As you can tell from the previous posts, it can really vary. The tibia has pretty good blood supply which speeds healing along....I broke my ankle a year ago, and it still bugs me. I started riding about 3 months after the surgery and it was too soon. Rehabilitation takes a while. When the cast came off, the muscles and the range of motions were pretty well gone....
It was a lot of work to strengthen and stretch it. The first rides were awful due to lack of strength and confidence in it. Hopefully your injury won't take so long, but only your doctor can tell when it is ready for more abuse.. Be patient... (Oh that's right, you already are a patient, heh, heh...)

If you do a Google search on "bone fractures" or "fracture healing" you will find lots of information. Try this site: www.mybrokenleg.com . It had lots of information and was incouraging, especially because most people that break their legs do so in their own living rooms or on their front steps.... I don't feel so bad about the way I broke mine. I suppose that having an airborn 250 pound motorcycle land directly on my ankle should break it.....

Good luck

RH

• CRF450RDR

Posted July 21, 2005 - 05:47 AM

I exploded my Tibia in March. I spent 2 months in a cast, 2 months in a soft boot, and it still isn't healing so I have at least another 4 weeks. I'm on 50% weight bearing, so I can only walk with a crutch. But mine was pretty severe, 2 plates and 16 screws!!Now some good news they are happy with the movement so I don't think I'll be a total gimp!
I was always under the impression that within 6- 8 weeks a fracture is completely healed, and that is not true. It takes 6-8 weeks for a callous to form and this callous calcifies to complete healing the fracture. Complete calcification and healing of a fracture can take up to 6 months, but of course it all depends on the type and location of the fracture.
Believe it or not if he gave you permission to walk on it that is a good sign and will speed healing as long as you don't re-injure it! Is it casted? The tibia is the main weight bearing bone in the leg, so you really want it to heal CORRECTLY.
I'm with you Flynall, the guy that took me for x-rays in the Hospital tripped down stairs at a family reunion completely sober, broke his ankle in 4 pieces!! His exact words to me were "Don't feel so bad it sounds like you were having fun".

• Burnrider

Posted July 21, 2005 - 05:49 AM

I suppose that having an airborn 250 pound motorcycle land directly on my ankle should break it.....

Ouch!

You need to talk to your doctor/ orthopedic. A leg fracture varies a lot (like everyone here has stated). I broke the tibia at the knee (plateau) in April. No riding till middle of September. I use a heating pad and pull the knee in to my butt every night to stretch out the ligaments. They lose a lose of elasticity in a few weeks. That is the biggest healing factor for me, getting the ligaments healthy enough to stabilize the knee joint again. A lot of people will tell you they are never the same again after a serious injury. Truth is, for a serious injury it takes a lot of work and commitment to exercise the joint daily and that means a little pain along the way.

• Flyin Dub

Posted July 21, 2005 - 06:52 AM

Actually, the distal tibia is one of the SLOWEST healing bones in the body. Six weeks would be the minimum for a stress fracture. My tib/fib broke into about ten pieces. My fibula healed in about four weeks, but the tibia took 7 months of no weight bearing followed by another six months of crutching and caning before I could walk without a limp. If you have a compound fracture or if you are a smoker, the healing time is longer and the chances of a non-union are greater.

• Soul Man

Posted July 21, 2005 - 07:27 AM

The tibia has pretty good blood supply which speeds healing along....
RH

Like flyin dub said, the tibia actually has a crappy blood supply. Not unusual for tibial shaft fractures to take 6 motnhs or more to heal. Pretty high rate of non-unions (bone doesn't heal at all and requires surgery etc.) and delayed unions (heals, but takes a long time).

Tibial stress fractures can take months to heal, particularly if you don't treat it properly (ie. keep walking around on it, continue sports etc.) and often they need surgery to heal.

All breaks are different, and without more information it is impossible to say. Typically 6 weeks minimum for a fracture to heal and be able to use it.

• barefootbob

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:03 AM

Add 3 weeks if your over 30,If over 40 you dont heal you deal.

• Husky Rabbit

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:08 AM

I'm in just about as much pain after 2 years as I was when I first broke my fibula and heel. Flippin Ortho and Pa together misdiagnosed my injuries for 7 months. Treating me for a 6-8 week fib frac, they order me an MRI 7 months later. Now I deal with constant pain/swelling. It hurts less to ride then walk! Time to ride I guess?

• K-fab

Posted July 21, 2005 - 01:00 PM

Add 3 weeks if your over 30,If over 40 you dont heal you deal.

Good God, that's the truth!!
Sucks, doesn't it... :applause:

• Yamaha35

Posted July 21, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Thx guys...my fracture isn't nearly as bad as what you guys got. I could put almost all weight on it after a week. But definitely not 100%. maybe at 65% after 3 weeks. I work for Fedex so if I go back to work too soon I'm screwed. But bills are adding up and I haven't been paid in 2 weeks. Need to get back to work!

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 21, 2005 - 02:10 PM

I have minor fracture of my Tibia that I suffered from a cased double on July 2nd. My Dr. seems to be quite the popular guy and is extremely difficult to get a hold of. I was wondering how long do fractures take to heal? Weeks, Months...a year? I am currently walking on it, just can't go to work and definitely can't ride. Anybody got experience with leg fractures?

6 weeks and give it hell!

• Yamaha35

Posted July 21, 2005 - 03:07 PM

what do you mean give it hell?

• twelve02

Posted July 21, 2005 - 03:17 PM

I would give it plenty of time to heal...

I shattered my wrist, then 4 months later broke it again from casing a triple. I didn't even crash, just came up short and it snapped cause it wasn't fully healed. Let it heal.

• khyz250

Posted July 21, 2005 - 03:39 PM

separated left shoulder - 5/6 weeks I still cant sleep on that side it hurts.
separated right shoulder - 5/6 weeks I still cant sleep on that side either
right forearm w/steel plate inserted - 3 months
severed tendon that connects the elbow to the wrist - 6 weeks after tendon was reattached.

• boomman

Posted July 21, 2005 - 05:42 PM

My story isn't as good as yours but I got a stress fracture (so said the Dr.) in my foot the 1st day of my motorcycling vacation. Next day I couldn't walk on it at all because of the pain but the more I limped around on it the more weight I could put on it. I wasn't going to let that ruin my vacation. By the end of the third day I could ride. Walking was still tough though. I was lucky.

• Flynall

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:13 AM

Soul Man and Dub,

I've understood that the Scaphoid and Talus have very poor blood supply. The rate of healing for these bones is very slow with significant probability of a nonunion.

The previous statement regarding Tibia blood supply was comparative, not absolute.....

From www.orthoinfo.org:

"The blood supply can be destroyed if these bones are broken. Some bones, such as the shin bone (tibia), have a moderate blood supply...."

I don't view moderate as "crappy."

RH

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Who put a pond there? by ZDeWitt

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  26 replies
Forums
Photo

I guess we need an eBike section on TT? by Bryan Bosch

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  31 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF250R 2015 by Bryan Bosch

Honda CRF250R 2015
  • 1 review
  • Last review by Justwant2ride
  • On September 17, 2014
Forums
Photo

KTM 350 4 STROKE intended audience? by dun3r87

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • 21 replies
Forums
Photo

Durability of the 2013/2014 kx250f how has yours held up? by Tony477g

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Kawasaki   KX250F
  • Hot  88 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.