Rear Fender question. 650R

9 replies to this topic
  • Outrider

Posted July 20, 2005 - 06:59 PM

Hey guys, my rear fender points to the left a little. I tried bending my subframe a little to the right with a heavy hammer and it didn't budge. Does anyone have any experience straghtning a rear subframe or just aligning the fender so it points straight back in line with the rear tire?
01xr650r

• XR4DEZ

Posted July 20, 2005 - 08:03 PM

Use a 3' long by 1" id pipe on the subeframe tube and gently bend it.I haven't seen a 650 that did'nt have this problem, mine came that way.

• smashinz2002

Posted July 20, 2005 - 08:19 PM

They come that way from the factory, I tried to straighten mine also, it might have helped a little but not much. Must be a design flaw or something I don't know why it's like that.

• irondude

Posted July 20, 2005 - 08:39 PM

i had my sub-frame gusseted and an extra coss member put in. so if you really want to fix it- it can be done. Welding Works in Orange, Ca has lots of expereince gusseting sub-frames for desert racers...

doesnt list to the left anymore!

most if not all the R's do that...

• Outrider

Posted July 22, 2005 - 09:39 AM

Maybe the rear fender can just be shimmed a little on one side.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Supplicate

Posted July 22, 2005 - 11:57 AM

i had my sub-frame gusseted and an extra coss member put in. so if you really want to fix it- it can be done. Welding Works in Orange, Ca has lots of expereince gusseting sub-frames for desert racers...

doesnt list to the left anymore!

most if not all the R's do that...

:applause:

thats been on the list of things to do for a long time now.

• BIG RED

Posted July 22, 2005 - 05:41 PM

I don't think it would be a BRP without a bent supframe :applause:

• woodsryder

Posted July 22, 2005 - 06:49 PM

Yeah,.. it surprises me that Honda of all companies would let a quality control issue like that go on for many years???? Its harmless of course, but just plain looks cheap!

• Winkel

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:53 PM

Mine does it too, and with the additional taillight added, it seems even worse. I think that over time, the fender just relaxes, and since the bike is always leaning that way on the kickstand, it just sags. The plastis is most likely polypropylene, which will take a "set" over a period of time.

Winkel

• jdubb75

Posted February 27, 2008 - 12:31 PM

I know this is an old thread, but it makes me feel good to know I'm not the only one that sags to the left. I've had my rear fender off a couple times and didn't notice the sag until after the last time I had it back together. Thought I bent the subframe lifting it onto the workstand or something.

Floppy fenders unite!:smirk:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.