Help! My 450 lurches BAD

12 replies to this topic
  • tkorkow

Posted July 20, 2005 - 01:09 PM

About a month ago I noticed that my 2003 YZ450f would lurch pretty bad when I held the throttle open. I thought it might be the clutch slipping so I put new springs and plates in. The old ones looked fine but since I had neww ones in hand, I put them , (soaked them in oil for about 30 minutes first). The lurching is still there and I suspect that maybe it's not the clutch at all. (Carb??) When i pop the clutch there's no slippage, problem mostly occurs when I hold the throttle open.

(Should note that my header pipe is pinched pretty bad and I'm waiting for a new one).

Any ideas?

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2005 - 01:11 PM

In all 4 gears, or only one in particular?

• Ga426owner

Posted July 20, 2005 - 01:47 PM

About a month ago I noticed that my 2003 YZ450f would lurch pretty bad when I held the throttle open. I thought it might be the clutch slipping so I put new springs and plates in. The old ones looked fine but since I had neww ones in hand, I put them , (soaked them in oil for about 30 minutes first). The lurching is still there and I suspect that maybe it's not the clutch at all. (Carb??) When i pop the clutch there's no slippage, problem mostly occurs when I hold the throttle open.

(Should note that my header pipe is pinched pretty bad and I'm waiting for a new one).

Any ideas?

hubs or basket wear and I have a 03 stock header for sale - pm me if you want it

• tkorkow

Posted July 20, 2005 - 02:11 PM

Seems to be all gears, but I notice it mostly in 4th b/cse that's when i'm cruising with the throttle in one spot.

• tkorkow

Posted July 20, 2005 - 02:13 PM

Your inbox is full. I'm interested in the header, email me at korkowt@ally.com with the price.

• grayracer513

Posted July 20, 2005 - 02:46 PM

Does it get better or worse if you go to full throttle?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • troyfisher123

Posted July 20, 2005 - 03:26 PM

I'd say the basket is well worn. Take out your plates again and look at the basket, it is ribbed?

• tkorkow

Posted July 21, 2005 - 07:43 AM

Basket looked new. Talked to a mechanic at the dealer and he told me that it's carb related. For $80 an hour they'll track down the problem and fix it......

What he said actually made sense b/cse when I pop the clutch it engages and the bike leaps forward, doesn't slowly engage. When I'm cruising around the float bowl empties and the bike "lurches" because it's not getting enough fuel.

Looks like I'll have to pull apart the carb this weekend.

• DaveJ

Posted July 21, 2005 - 09:00 AM

There's also a screen in the tank, as part of the petcock, that can clog. It's often ignored. Two screws and it comes right out.

The bike will get just enough fuel to idle and run for shorts bursts, then begins to die after longer runs. Not enough delivery.

Check this first. Then pull the cap off of the fuel bowl and check for water. Drain then test.

I really doubt you'll have to pull the carb apart. Nor should you.

As a last consideration, change the plug and don't run anything other than the factory brand.

DaveJ

ps- keep your approach simple.

• Satch0922

Posted July 21, 2005 - 05:43 PM

sounds electrical.......

• YZLEE

Posted July 22, 2005 - 03:39 PM

Your problem sounds exactly like what my 426 is doing. I've tried lots of things in the jetting department with zero results. A new CDI box didn't help it either. I've got the carb all apart again to see if there might be a blockage. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try a new TPS. Maybe a coil is in my future.

• grayracer513

Posted July 22, 2005 - 06:03 PM

sounds electrical.......

That's what I was trying to get at. That or a jetting issue caused by the crimped header. Doesn't sound like a clutch.

• Radbuster

Posted July 23, 2005 - 05:03 AM

I have exactly the same problem. I noticed it when cruising in fourth for a while at constant RPM. The problem does not become better or worse. When back to regular riding with on-the gas, off-the gas there isn't a hint of this issue.

The cases are split at the moment for a mid-life overhaul. The gears look good, plug CR8E has a nice tan, the carb was very clean, vent hoses unblocked. Will check the fuel tank gas filter.

Any findings on this matter will be interesting.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.