throttle stuck closed

8 replies to this topic
  • kcander

Posted July 20, 2005 - 08:39 AM

Posted this in general, too, but realized I should probably ask the experts...

So I took my YZ400 up some logging roads. About 20 mins into the ride, I'm coming down a hill, I left off the gas coming around a corner, and when I go to open the throttle up coming out of the corner, the throttle sticks and won't turn. The bike dies on me. It won't restart for a bit, but I finally get it to fire up...after sitting for a few, the throttle had loosened back up, but as soon as it's fired up, I get about 20 feet down the road and it does it to me again. I finally managed to get the thing home threw it in the garage, haven't had time to deal with it lately...anyways, I start it up last night, same deal, kick start it no problem, go to twist the throttle and it barely lets me twist it, maybe a 1/2 inch, and it just hits a hard spot and won't twist any further. Anybody know what this might be? The engine starts and idles just fine, but I can't get the damned throttle to move...and no, there's not a rock stuck up in grip!

• ripntear

Posted July 20, 2005 - 09:00 AM

Could be a bad or dirty cable. You may also have some debris that the slide is catching on.

I would disconnect the cable from the throttle grip and pull on it. If it is hard to pull try some cable lube. If that doesn't fix it, I would pull the carb and clean it well. While you have the carb off, make sure that the cam doohickeys the cables go into are working properly.

The chances are it's the cable. Dirty or frayed.

ripntear

• crfmatt

Posted July 20, 2005 - 11:43 AM

and no, there's not a rock stuck up in grip!

I was going to say to check that :applause:

• 02YZ426

Posted July 20, 2005 - 06:32 PM

Sounds like a bad cable to me... lucky its sticking closed and not wide open throttle, better fix it before next ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ovrrdrive

Posted July 21, 2005 - 01:13 AM

another vote for frayed cable here...

I've heard of it happening to several different people on this board.

• phat_450f

Posted July 21, 2005 - 01:17 AM

They have a cool tool to lube cables up with. You put it on the edge of the cable screw it tight then it has a hole on the tool that you squirt the lube in. It works well and prevents all the mess....I think when i bought mine it was like 5 dollars...

• kcander

Posted July 21, 2005 - 09:55 AM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm going to check it out this weekend.

• kcander

Posted July 25, 2005 - 08:30 AM

Just in case anybody happens to have the same problem, here was the cause:

There is a small screw tucked in behind the throttle linkage. The screw must've come loose from vibration. It had backed itself out a little bit, and it was just enough to block the linkage closed. If I pulled hard enough on the throttle, it would scrape over the screw and allow the throttle to open up. The screw just happens to be in the (not-so) perfect place that if it backs out, it hits against the backside of the linkage just as you start to turn the throttle, only allowing you to turn the throttle about 1/4 inch before it jams up. Luckily, it's pretty easy to fix, although the screw is difficult to get at. Just take the throttle linkage cover off and you'll see the small screw tucked in behind the linkage. Use whatever little tool you can to tighten it up and you're good to go. If I continue to have issues with this, I'll probably lock-tite the thing in their, but I think it should be good to go without. Thanks for all the advice fellas.

• ripntear

Posted July 25, 2005 - 09:28 AM

Glad you got 'er fixed!

ripntear

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.