2005 YZ450F # Plate on a 2005 WR450F

9 replies to this topic
  • taksx

Posted July 20, 2005 - 07:46 AM

Hi Gang,

I read some of you have YZ'ed your WR, But has anyone replaced your headlight plate( for fear of breaking your light on a rocky race/ride) with one from a YZF # plate for the 2005 models? If so what did you do to make it fit :applause:

Thanks a bunch, Eddie.

• cgrlvr35

Posted July 20, 2005 - 09:23 AM

Im looking to do the same thing. I was at the dealer to see if the # plate would fit the WR. To me it would, even with the odometer hooked up. There will be a bend and it was tight. I think it would work. What are you doing for the rear guard. I want to get rid of the front light and rear for my races. I haven't done much night riding yet.

• jeffm

Posted July 20, 2005 - 09:42 AM

I mounted an acerbis. I made 3 brackets and pop riveted them to the plate and use the existing mounts so its easy off easy on

• taksx

Posted July 21, 2005 - 07:45 AM

I was told the rear fender is not that big of a deal. You would just have to make little modification to make it work.
The number plate in the other hand is tricky due to wires, and the odometer.That one has me thinking :applause:

Jeff can we get you to post a pic of your set up?

• The_Blue_One

Posted July 21, 2005 - 08:14 AM

I was told the rear fender is not that big of a deal. You would just have to make little modification to make it work.
The number plate in the other hand is tricky due to wires, and the odometer.That one has me thinking :applause:

Jeff can we get you to post a pic of your set up?

Acerbis make a yz style rear fender for the wr. I have one on my bike and it has the cutouts for the coolant lines and is a perfect fit. I'll see if i can find a picture. :eek:

**edit**
Here is one that shows it :)
Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jeffm

Posted July 21, 2005 - 07:54 PM

Here's a couple pictures if I figured this out

Posted Image
Posted Image
I guess you can't just post pictures here :applause:

• taksx

Posted July 21, 2005 - 09:35 PM

:eek: Great set up, Is that just a regular YZ # plate?
Thanks for the sharing your bracket set up. I'm going to borrow it :applause:

• RADRick

Posted July 22, 2005 - 09:21 AM

I did mine completely different and made it more functional. First, I wanted to ditch the stupid pushbutton on/off switch so I got the on/off/start handlebar switch from a late-model TTR. Now I can start and stop the engine without taking my right hand off the grip. This also allowed me to ditch the kill switch from the left side. Now, when I kill the bike with the TTR switch I am also killing the battery circuit. No more guessing if I left it on. You'll need to do some minor rewiring, but it's fairly easy. I reused the watertight connectors from the switches I eliminated.

Next, I got a used YZ top triple clamp off eBay for $20. It has the top mount for the YZ number plate. I ditched the worthless odometer for a TrailTech unit that I made a mount for from some flat 1/8" aluminum. Instead of mounting to the triple clamp, I made the plate mount under the handlebar mount. This setup has worked fine for me and looks great. With the YZ rear fender and a CR-style front brake line, everybody thinks my bike is a YZ. Well, at least until I hit the magic button.

The only negative? It fools the rangers into thinking it's a YZ and I get stopped and checked more often.

• Balcs

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:27 AM

Get a Yz tripple upper tripple clamp. Buy the Cycra Stadium plate that mounts to the upper YZ mount then zip ties to the upper fork legs. Check out Windhams. You can keep all trhe electrical connections but rerout the ignition, sounds like the TTR 250 one is the hot set up. I am going to do that. I reccommend RG3 uppers 4 post rubber mount w/pro tapers. sweet, no arm pump.

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted July 24, 2005 - 07:47 AM

I made a quick release for my 01 wr426. It works on the 05's but can not be quick release you will still need the two top bolt/screws to secure it. When you take out the screws the bracket comes off with the number plate. I would post some pics but I can never seem to get them to post.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.