mobil 1 question

8 replies to this topic
  • goblin127

Posted July 19, 2005 - 06:20 PM

Now that the 650l is broken in 2400 mi. I was thinking of switching over to mobil 1 15w50 is it ok to use the automotive one for this.

• ponq

Posted July 19, 2005 - 07:36 PM

as far as I know your good to go.

• Dual_Dog

Posted July 19, 2005 - 07:48 PM

As long as it doesn't have the "energy conserving" listing on the API service classification, most any oil will do.

Be aware that new Mobil 1 15W50 "red cap" is no longer synthetic. It's advertised as a "conventional" or petroleum based oil. The gold cap & silver cap are the full synthetics with different additive packages containing a different amount of (wet clutch slipping) moly than old red cap. No report on the new stuff yet, or if they cause any slippage. Some old red cap quarts can be found, but the supply is limited. Diesel oils are a good option for these motors and are reasonably priced.

I've been running old red cap in my XRL and LTZ, both with wet clutches, without any problems what so ever. Now I'll need to find an alternative. Maybe Shell Rotella, Napa full synthetic, Mobil Delvac...too many choices. :applause:

• Max Power

Posted July 19, 2005 - 08:27 PM

Posted Image

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted July 19, 2005 - 10:00 PM

Thanx for the update I will have to rethink on that.

• sportbiker929

Posted July 20, 2005 - 06:27 PM

Rotella full synthetic 15w-40 diesel oil is a great oil for our bikes. $14 a gallon at walmart.

• goblin127

Posted July 21, 2005 - 04:49 AM

Thats what I was looking for thanx Wallmart eh!

• resslera

Posted July 21, 2005 - 04:05 PM

Yes, the new Mobil 1 15w50 is good to go.

• needsprayer

Posted July 21, 2005 - 06:36 PM

A comparison question.

Definition: API SH engine oils provide performance exceeding API SG in areas of deposit control, oil oxidation, wear protection and rust/corrosion protection and have been tested in accordance with the CMA Code of Practice.

Mobil 1 Extended Performance 15W-50 API SM,SL,SJ,SH/CF

Mobil 1 Motorcycle Oil V-Twin 20W-50 API SH, SG/CF

V-Twin: SG/CF

Viscosity Index (VI) How higher the viscosity index how thinner the oil at low temperature and how thicker the oil at high temperatures.

V-Twin: 150
EP: 153

Does this mean between the two W-50 oils that the EP is actually better?

Related Content

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 3 replies

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.