Need Help Fast!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • crfmatt

Posted July 19, 2005 - 04:35 PM

Ok im leaving in an hour to ride and i just noticed that this little bolt just below and left of where the decomp. cable goes (on the cylinder-right side) is loose and when i tighten it i can only get it like finger tight because it must be stripped or something? Does anyone know what it is and if its ok to ride (i know my description of where it is sucks :applause: ) THANKS

• Hick

Posted July 19, 2005 - 05:08 PM

Damn, sounds like the decomp shaft retainer bolt. There is a notch on the decomp shaft, the end of this bolt rides in it and keeps it in the head. The shaft may come out if the bolt is not there. Oil may also leak out here, but not a huge amount.

It is held on by a grand total of about 4 threads, I managed to jerk these out of mine also. You may try and find a metric heli-coil kit, if you know your way around a drill and tap you should be able to install this in about 30 minutes or so (I wouldn't do this w/out removing the head cover to keep debris out of the valvetrain).

I dunno, if you are desperate you may try a bunch of silcone on the bolt and then reinstall it, and, if possible, let the silicone cure some.

If it were my this is what I would do but, like many other things I do, I wouldn't necessarily recommend this....

Hope this helps.

• crfmatt

Posted July 19, 2005 - 05:56 PM

ok, so I think ill go and put silicone on the bolt and then put it in? Is there anything the silicone can hurt inside the head?
Or would i be better of to use locktight?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2005 - 06:07 PM

If I were going to do a glue job like that, and like Hick, I ain't recommending doing it, I would use 3M Super Weatherstrip adhesive, aka The Yellow Death. Put some on the threads, and then cover the bolt head in the stuff.

That's how I'd do it if I did it. And I might, but I won't tell you that.

• revolucien

Posted July 19, 2005 - 06:40 PM

That's how I'd do it if I did it. And I might, but I won't tell you that.

:applause: Yeah, I think we have all been itchin to ride so bad that we might not done things the right way just so we could get out there.

• crfmatt

Posted July 19, 2005 - 11:31 PM

:eek: Yeah, I think we have all been itchin to ride so bad that we might not done things the right way just so we could get out there.

Thats what I thought... :) but the bad thing is the bolt came out after 3 laps but it was still fun :applause:

• crfmatt

Posted July 20, 2005 - 11:52 AM

A guy at the track was trying to help me get another bolt in it and he said the bolt is just there to hold the decomp shaft in place (like hick said) and we finally got one to work but if u put one in to far u cant turn the shaft and not far enough and the shaft can come out. He said there should be some play on the shaft tho so im wondering if someone can pull on there's and see if it comes out a little? THANKS

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.