WR450-Hare Scrambles?

How would the -04, -05 WR450 handle a hare scramble? Know it's the machine for enduros and am envious of any having one. Not able to get mine until this October. I think I've ruled out the CRF450x for the Blue Thumper, but interested in its other capabilities.

SG

I ride harescrambles, and i ride an 04 WR450. You will see every size and brand at a race. The "PRO'S" seem to always ride 250 2 strokes. but if your like me and will only own a 4 then buy the 2 things that will make it alot easier to "last" in a 2 hour+ race. A Rekluse auto clutch and a Good set of tires are a must.

i have been riding since 1974, no expert by no means, at my peak,17-24 years i was probally a AA class rider. now 42, i ride C class vet. i am not trying to prove anything anymore. I like to ride and i like the competition,"makes it more real". The trails are fairly tight,and i mean with stock bars you are going to be touching two trees at the same time, like i said narrow trails, up hills,down hills,crossing streams. lots of rocks, roots,mud,sand,soft,hard, "A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING CAN BE THERE". you get a practice lap and the race is 2 hours. avg speed is around 17mph. don't sweat it. there are all classes of riders.if your not sure just enter the "trail rider"class, but you still ride the same course as the pro's.Make sure your susp. is set up for your weight and get some good tires like the MAXXIS SI. Lots of u turns. and get a hydration back pack, you wont last 3 laps without on-board water, and have fun. After the first one is over you will think they were trying to kill you but after you get home you will be looking for the next one to go too.

How would the -04, -05 WR450 handle a hare scramble? Know it's the machine for enduros and am envious of any having one. Not able to get mine until this October. I think I've ruled out the CRF450x for the Blue Thumper, but interested in its other capabilities.

SG

the 04 and 05 wr's are two different bikes,i own a 04 and even after removing 20lbs of weight(starter,battery and every other useless item on it) it still felt rather topheavy. for 05 they changed the frame and a few other things making it feel like its 2" lower(i don't know how much exactly) and it has a much more balanced feel. as long as your not too big the lower saddle height will be an advantage in the woods. i'm 6'4" and it was too low for me,so i went with a 05yz450 and set it up for tight woods HS,i'm much faster on the yz :applause: so what i'm saying is if you have a choice and your shorter than me(i'm sure they'll be plenty of people chime in and say well i'm 6'5" and it fits me fine;whatever) go for the 05 wr it has many advantages over the 04 for HS. gotta get rid of that smog crap and do the mods though :eek:

what are common obsticales you face during a hare scramble? i would love to race one - but don't want to enter and get dead.

how did you approach your first race?

The best approach is to use your first race as a learning experience. There will be tough sections, guys will be flying by you at light speed, you'll crash a lot, and you will get passed by girls :applause: . And unless you currently run marathons, you'll find out how pathetically out of shape you are.

Go out there with the goal of just finishing the race. Keep in mind that your doing it to have fun, even though that can be a little tough on the last lap.

Be careful, racing is very addictive. Once you start doing it, it's hard to stop.

Let us know how your first race turns out. Oh yeah, get a Rekluse if you don't have one.

Jerry

The trails are fairly tight,and i mean with stock bars you are going to be touching two trees at the same time, like i said narrow trails, up hills,down hills,crossing streams. lots of rocks, roots,mud,sand,soft,hard, "A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING CAN BE THERE".

That sounds like a fun course. The one they do 20 minutes or so

from my house is at a MX park. They link all the tracks together (except the SX). So you go from the main MX track which is fairly technical with lots of turns and jumps, to the vintage track (higher speed but not as many technical jumps) to a more open area.

http://www.vdrmx.com/brochure2.html

bruno.

SG

I would rather start with an '06 yz450. They are sooooo much lighter and you can race yz's straight up. The '06 comes with a 5 speed gearbox which would help when gearing down for more top speed. You will be so much happier in the end.

All I can add is that you will probably be miserable during the race but so exhilarated after that you will wonder why you didn't race before. You will most likely be VERY sore and have muscles ache that you didn't know you had the next couple days afterward.

It's addictive and you will meet a ton of great people at the races. I run the GNCC series and some local stuff. Well, I did until I blew my knee out this spring. Life is just less interesting now that I can't ride until next spring.

BTW, I started out years ago on a beat XR400, graduated to a DRZ400 and currently have an 04 WR450. Looking forward to getting an 06 WR in the spring!! Happy riding!!!!

The best approach is to use your first race as a learning experience. There will be tough sections, guys will be flying by you at light speed, you'll crash a lot, and you will get passed by girls :applause: . And unless you currently run marathons, you'll find out how pathetically out of shape you are.

Go out there with the goal of just finishing the race. Keep in mind that your doing it to have fun, even though that can be a little tough on the last lap.

Be careful, racing is very addictive. Once you start doing it, it's hard to stop.

Let us know how your first race turns out. Oh yeah, get a Rekluse if you don't have one.

Jerry

Listen to this guy. I just raced my first harescramble last week and everything he says is 100% true.