Why does my WR have a coolant overflow under the rear fender?

33 replies to this topic
  • Summit

Posted July 18, 2005 - 07:16 AM

Just wondering why my bros YZF 426 doesn't have that goofy looking coolant bottle under the rear fender and mine does. Doesn't that look pretty vulnerable sitting there?

• Flash319

Posted July 18, 2005 - 07:22 AM

YZ's were not built for going slow. They are MX bikes and that is what they were designed for. The WR is for trail riding which can have slow times that cause cooling problems. If you lost all you fluid you would be stranded. Not such a big deal in a 15 lap moto as the only slow time is at the starting gate.

That bottle holds the fluid until you are cool enough and lets it back into the system. Also better for the enviroment.

• FTD

Posted July 18, 2005 - 02:29 PM

Why is it under the fender? Where else? I have never had a problem with it's location.

• moach1

Posted July 18, 2005 - 04:26 PM

ya i agree, it looks like a rock could break it pretty easy. haven't broke mine yet, i guess someone knew what they were doing.

• MattyH

Posted July 22, 2005 - 06:29 AM

at least it isnt inside a poxy plastic bash plate in front of the cases like the current xr650s'

• freestyle250

Posted July 22, 2005 - 08:36 PM

With the little bottle under that number plate, it isn't as vulnerable as you think it would be. I have taken a couple good spills on my '05, and nothing has happened. It makes sense to me, cause it's easier to refill too.

• team claw

Posted July 23, 2005 - 08:05 AM

never been an issue for me..............and I've tested it! When crashing, you would have to pretty much center-punch the left side panel with all the momentum and weight of the bike landing on the bottle mount for it to break; and that just doesn't happen very often unless you do a spectacular get-off. :applause:

• wooduride

Posted July 23, 2005 - 03:07 PM

The water bottle is strictly an environmental issue. The WR is designed for off road and not closed circuit. For the US to accept a bike other then closed circuit it has to have all this other crap on it, like the silencer and throttle stop. What you can do is take the bottle off, tank and seat off. Reroute the overflow line from the radiator down to in front of the swing arm (like the YZ). Then order an extra side plate gas tank. The Gas tank takes place of the left side plate and then you have about 120 miles without refueling. I have actually won a couple of desert races this way by passing up the first gas stop. Racing I could easily go 80 miles all fueled up.

Have fun and go far
Wooduride

• simon@vic

Posted July 23, 2005 - 05:49 PM

mine has seen 100s of impacts. it is fine. they all are and will be. it it urethane plastic i think. that $hit is tough as nails.

• Balcs

Posted July 24, 2005 - 12:12 AM

Get rid of the overflow tank, you dont need it. I have never lost any amount of liquid in 2 1/2 years. I put engine ice in it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450Rob

Posted July 24, 2005 - 04:38 PM

Yamaha likes putting them in what seems like a bad spot. My 04 YFZ450 quad has it right above the rear tire. No matter what crap gets thrown at it from the rear tire, it never once has had any issues. I think it would take some serious impact to hurt that tank.

• DirtyDude

Posted October 10, 2005 - 12:15 PM

The water bottle is strictly an environmental issue. The WR is designed for off road and not closed circuit. For the US to accept a bike other then closed circuit it has to have all this other crap on it, like the silencer and throttle stop. What you can do is take the bottle off, tank and seat off. Reroute the overflow line from the radiator down to in front of the swing arm (like the YZ). Then order an extra side plate gas tank. The Gas tank takes place of the left side plate and then you have about 120 miles without refueling. I have actually won a couple of desert races this way by passing up the first gas stop. Racing I could easily go 80 miles all fueled up.

Have fun and go far
Wooduride

I'm currently considering one of those side-panel tanks you mention.. from Baja Designs. Is that the one to buy, and do I really not need to worry about riding without the protection of a coolant overflow tank? I always thought those tanks were to save the coolant when things got too hot for a moment or two... and I sometimes get too hot for a moment or two!

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 10, 2005 - 12:35 PM

Get rid of the overflow tank, you dont need it. I have never lost any amount of liquid in 2 1/2 years. I put engine ice in it.

1. I've never had a problem on either of my WR's with the overflow getting broken.

2. I have been on plenty of "pack and carry" rides, the kind I like and I have been happy on numerous occasions that I have that coolant recovery system. I have tried every kind of coolant on the market. Unless you have a compelling reason to take it off or your riding is typically at speed, I would leave it on.

Just my 2 cents.

• ISBB

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:19 PM

so would it be safe to say that if i ride alot of wide open dunes and cruising at a really good clip i can just eliminate the bottle??? and where would the hoses get routed?

• DirtyDude

Posted October 10, 2005 - 01:40 PM

I like those type of rides too, but range becomes an issue. I was hoping to replace my coolant bottle with a 1.2 gallon aux fuel tank. I'm a bit worried about the overheat issue. Someone said increase the PSI rating of the radiator cap.. :banghead:

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 10, 2005 - 02:48 PM

so would it be safe to say that if i ride alot of wide open dunes and cruising at a really good clip i can just eliminate the bottle??? and where would the hoses get routed?

Probably, if you really want to. I think the YZ's just route it down thru the bracket on the left side of the neck that the throttle and clutch cables go thru.

• SJMC_DON

Posted October 10, 2005 - 02:52 PM

I like those type of rides too, but range becomes an issue. I was hoping to replace my coolant bottle with a 1.2 gallon aux fuel tank. I'm a bit worried about the overheat issue. Someone said increase the PSI rating of the radiator cap.. :banghead:

You can try it, just carry a 12 oz or larger bottle of drinking water, or coolant of your choice, in your pack to refill the radiator if have to. I've seen guys do it all the time that don't have recovery systems :banghead: you just have to wait until it cools down enough to open the cap.

I don't know bout the higer pop off on the cap, just make sure all your hose clamps are good and tight.......

• Matty05

Posted October 10, 2005 - 03:01 PM

Sand riding puts the most load on a bike. No way would I get rid of the bottle.
Just pay attention to your bikes heat next time you ride there, It would be really hot. Cruizing is fine.

• xcracer123

Posted October 10, 2005 - 06:06 PM

If you go to the Evans (NPG-R) coolant sold thru Ty Davis' web site you will not have an issue with coolant loss and you can ditch the tank. The bike simply will not over heat then. Just ask NCmountain man. Do a search on the coolant and you will fina all the info you need. Look here.....

http://www.thumperta...2&highlight=npg

• FTD

Posted October 10, 2005 - 09:16 PM

Speaking of overflow. I filled mine half way full from quarter full yesterday... is that where is is supposed to be?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.