1989 XR100 Setting Point Gap

4 replies to this topic
  • Geoff_88888

Posted July 18, 2005 - 02:42 AM

Can anybody Help,

My sons 1989 XR100 has developed an engine miss, which I suspect is either Points or possibly the Stator (I'm guessing).

I also have a 1980 XR80 and swapped its Coil and condensor and no difference. Still runs like a dog.

Tried another Spark Plug and another Spark Plug Cap , again no difference, still missing.

The engine miss is rather eratic.

Pulled down the carbie and cleaned it, athough it was pretty clean to start with. No problems there either, engine still missing.

I've now pulled off the the Flywheel and cannot figure out how to set the point gap, as the points do not appear to operate off the main crank, so how do you set the points gap to the recommended .012-.015 thou gap ????

I must be loosing it !!!!

Thanks
Geoff

• socalxr

Posted July 18, 2005 - 04:59 AM

The flywheel has to on the crank to set them. Just look through the hole in the flywheel and you can see the points. you adjust them through there. Did you have a new set if points??? Also, you might want to consider a CDI ignition, your problem will be solved. They are on ebay all the time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Geoff_88888

Posted July 19, 2005 - 01:43 AM

Thanks for the information.

Does the flywheel need to be aligned to any particular mark (ie T or F), to set the point gap ???

I will certainly keep an eye out for a CDI unit from the XR100.

Would you know whether any other CDI unit fits the XR100R 1989 model ???

Many Thanks again

Geoff

• XRDEZRAT

Posted July 19, 2005 - 06:20 PM

You do not set the point gap, you set the timing.
On small Honda's with the points under the flywheel, you set the points so they just break (open) when the mark on the case lines up with the F mark on the flywheel.
The gap is automatic, if you have set the timing at the F mark, and the gap does not fall in between the min. & max. gap listed in the Honda manual (usually too little gap when the points are worn) then you need to replace them.

Make sure you are turning the flywheel in the proper direction, where you come to the F mark before the T mark.

• Geoff_88888

Posted July 21, 2005 - 04:20 AM

Thanks for the information.

I'll check it out this weekend, during daylight, so I can see what I'm doing.

I'm hoping that the points have closed abit and this is causing the poor acceleration and the miss fire problem.

Last weekend, it certainly looked like the points were'nt opening at all.

Strange, the bike was going great one minute, then all of a sudden the problem developed.

Thanks again

Geoff

Related Content

Reviews

Honda CRF100F 2014 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF100F 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

What Would Be The best dirt bike for a 12 year old? by ramis

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • Hot  48 replies
Forums
Photo

I need Opinion on an Issue for XR200R by vfrriderus

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 9 replies
Reviews

Honda CRF80F 2014 by Chris.GVS

Honda CRF80F 2014
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Xr200r Cam Chain way to loose by spooledupgti

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR/CRF 80-200
  • 9 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.