YZ450 Valve Clearance

4 replies to this topic
  • mnm567

Posted July 17, 2005 - 08:06 PM

I own a 2005 YZ450F and I have about 32 hours running time on it. I just checked the valve clearance and noticed that one of the intake valves had about .076 mm of clearance. The others were about .102mm. The manual calls for .10-.15mm for the intake valves. So, should I adjust the one slightly off intake valve, or is it okay to run the bike the way it is? Thanks, Matt

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2005 - 09:40 PM

It's out of spec, and needs to be corrected.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mnm567

Posted July 18, 2005 - 01:13 PM

That's what I was afraid you would say. Thanks, Matt

• mnm567

Posted July 18, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Gray,
What do you think caused this? The first time I had checked the clearance, I noticed the one valve being tighter than the rest. Did the valve settle into the seat a little more than when it left the factory? Thanks for the help, Matt

• grayracer513

Posted July 18, 2005 - 09:23 PM

There could be a number of reasons for it. Probably, the valve seat was not machined quite perfectly enough, and may have had to wear in a bit more than the others. Keeping the valves in spec will make them live longer than if you allow them to run out either tight or loose.

But that valve should not have moved that much so early, IMO. Watch it to see if it keeps moving. If it's just a little glitch in the seat, it will wear in, the wear will go to normal levels, and the clearances will stabilize.

If the seat is way out of square, or the valve is faulty, it will continue to wear faster than the others. You should talk to the service manager at your dealer and let him know what's going on, so that it can be documented.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.