couple of easy questions

9 replies to this topic
  • knucklehead

Posted July 17, 2005 - 09:07 AM

i bought a new Moose performance foam air filter and a note inside the box says do not apply grease to the base of this filter. whats up with that - i always added
grease to every filter. i installed the filter with out reading the instructions and have already applied rim grease (no - toil), can i just remove it?

second question - i had to drain my radiator to install plugs for my AIS removal. to refill the systems should i fill the coolant tank or pour the fluid into the radiator itself? i filled the tank and ran the bike for a while but it appears the coolant didn't cycle through the system, is that because of air in the line?
thanks in advance for your input!!

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 17, 2005 - 11:48 AM

You have to pour the coolant into the radiator. If all you did was fill the coolant tank you ran the bike with the cooling system dry. :applause:

• knucklehead

Posted July 17, 2005 - 12:58 PM

ok thanks - i was thinking the same thing but then i wasnt sure if i would over fill .
i also found changing the plug on my wr really sucks!! i used the tool given to me by the yamaha dealer but then found my 3/8" ratchet wouldnt fit in the top of the plug tool to loosen and remove it.
any tips?

• ToooFaarOutt

Posted July 17, 2005 - 01:58 PM

ok thanks - i was thinking the same thing but then i wasnt sure if i would over fill .
i also found changing the plug on my wr really sucks!! i used the tool given to me by the yamaha dealer but then found my 3/8" ratchet wouldnt fit in the top of the plug tool to loosen and remove it.
any tips?

Yeah go buy your self a plug socket with the built in swivel joint and then use a 8" 3/8 extention, then your 3/8 drive works perfectly.

• btc20mx

Posted July 17, 2005 - 02:06 PM

you dont need to put grease on the rim cause supposedly they are so well designed now that the filter fits perfectly.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xcracer123

Posted July 17, 2005 - 04:34 PM

The reason NOT to put the grease on the base of the filter is that they increase the amount of foam and change the density so that you get a proper seal w/o applying grease. It's the same principal as if you applied a PC Racing filter ring to your airbox. You get the required seal w/o the grease.

• Matty05

Posted July 17, 2005 - 04:40 PM

Each to his own!

Greasing the filter base is just cheap insurance and won't hurt anything by doing so.

• walent215

Posted July 18, 2005 - 04:50 AM

no grease!!!it just makes a mess.a properly oiled and seated filter wont give you any trouble-havent used grease in years.

• skidxr

Posted July 18, 2005 - 08:10 AM

I plugged my AIS and I didn't touch the coolant... WTH... Did I do it wrong or miss something? The kit I used was some vacuum line plugs from auto store.. I plugged 3 lines (2 large and 1 small)..

05 WR450

• knucklehead

Posted July 18, 2005 - 11:09 AM

skidxr- no you didnt miss anything - the rad removal is optional. i choose to remove it b/c my hands are too larger to get to the front hole.
i have to get my girl friend to wrench on my bike sometimes b/c she can get her hands in there easy. oops did i say that out loud?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.