Breaking in my New YZ450

8 replies to this topic
  • BergArabia

Posted July 17, 2005 - 06:30 AM

I took my YZ450 out for a quick break in session this morning.
Sort of a cross between what was written in the manual and the thoughts put forward on this site...
http://mototuneusa.c..._in_secrets.htm

So it seems there are 2 streams of thought on breaking in. The softly softly approach and the break it in hard approach..

I know there have also been many threads already on this topic..

For my experience I started slow as per the manual and then worked up to some open throttle hill climbing.

The bike has about one hour and a half on it and I am going to change oil and filter before taking it out again.. Then ride hard for a few hours and then change oil and filter again. I have a stainless steel filter on order and will install that when it comes. Probably a few weeks.. After that it will be new oil and clean filter every ride I think for the first couple of months.. Oil is cheap...

But what amazes me is looking in the manual there are about 8 different nuts bolts, clamps etc to remove and replace in this process. After riding this morning I have been just too tired to do it :) ... Maybe tomorrow... :applause:

How long does it take you guys to do the oil change and filter thing?

Oh I am also thinking of softening up the suspension I am not really heavy and I don't race.. Love the bike though... :eek:

• SureBlue

Posted July 17, 2005 - 10:24 AM

Congrats on your new bike :applause:
I spent one day at a track watching close how our 5 time national mx champion broke in his new 540 KTM. He did one warm up lap and then rode it hard for 20 minutes. Came into pits, changed oil and filters and raced a heat with it and won. The second heat he won with his spare bike. BTW - he changes oil after every heat, oil is cheap.

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2005 - 12:51 PM

It takes me 30-35 minutes to change the oil on both bikes, including washing the Scotts filters. Now that you are properly astonished, let me say that I do not do a lot of what they suggest.

removal and inspection of the frame screen is normally unnecessary. Do it once on a new bike, or once after any major work. You might find a big chunk of gasket or sealer there. Otherwise, don't bother.

If your manual recommends removing the allen bolt from the oil filter cover and letting the oil drain from the filter well back to the engine, don't do that either. That encourages chips from the filter well to invade the threads, which will wear them out over time.

I also don't drain the feed line, since there's only about 25cc in there anyway.

Pre-run the engine, drain the frame, drain the crankcase, pull the filter, and fill it back up.

• BergArabia

Posted July 18, 2005 - 01:21 AM

Thanks for the advice..
I have finished the first change and did it by the book..
Took me about 2 hours..
I think I will try it your way next time..
Change regular and do it the quick way I think..
the oil was kind of black after only 1 hour of riding.. Glad I did the change..
Will also be changing after every time out..

Thanks guys...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Jetsprint2

Posted July 18, 2005 - 09:12 AM

Thanks for the advice..
I have finished the first change and did it by the book..
Took me about 2 hours..
I think I will try it your way next time..
Change regular and do it the quick way I think..
the oil was kind of black after only 1 hour of riding.. Glad I did the change..
Will also be changing after every time out..

Thanks guys...

The oil from the factory is junk. They put a lot of break in grease and other additives when they manufacture an engine. It is good to change your oil after break in. :applause:

• YZ400FPower

Posted July 18, 2005 - 05:30 PM

I was told after 1 tank of gas of slow riding its good to go.....never bought a new bike tho................

• BergArabia

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:20 PM

Yeah the oil I pulled out after just one hour or 1.5 hours was looking kind of black I can see how you might call it junk.... . I am glad it is outta there.. The sales guys at the dealership said ride slow for 10 hours then change.. Can you imagine???... When I pulled the filter after 1.5 hours I could see the glistening of the metal flakes....

• djo269

Posted July 18, 2005 - 11:10 PM

After about another 1.5 or so hours I would change it again. Since you did kinda hurry to change it from the get-go, there will be more metal shavings in there since your bike isnt totally broken in yet. Usually after the first 2 or 3 oil changes you shouldnt see any more metal shavings in the oil.

• snow

Posted July 19, 2005 - 06:36 PM

I ran my 05 for about a hour or 2 easy with a little hard riding and then changed the oil and filter. Next I loaded that bad boy up and went to Saint Anthony and rode the crap out of it. :applause: So far everthing seems fine I am still running Yamalube and thoughts on what oil I should run???

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.