Why Does My Wr-450 Suck

30 replies to this topic
  • Hamish

Posted July 18, 2005 - 03:56 AM

at 95kg's I run a 5.8 rear, so you'll need someing in the 6+ kg range. I suspect you'll need stiffer springs up front too. My stockers are borderline for my weight. As far as the front tyre goes, give a maxxis SI a go, it does everything well :applause:

• Matty05

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:20 PM

I know what your saying, but I can and do go where-ever my mates 250 can go, he can't keep up with me infact, it just blew me away how easy it was to ride much more flickable and could power slide through corners much easier.

I have the luxury of having both the 450 and 250 in my possesion and trust me, The 250 is fun to ride, but there is no substitute for power. I have to ring the 250's neck to get anywhere, I think that I go much much faster on the 450. The power is right there where you need it.

Once you have got the suspension sorted, you will be amazed of the difference it makes.

• RichBaker

Posted July 19, 2005 - 02:50 PM

My rider sag and static sag have been set to suit my weight (125kg) and they measure fine on the original spring

You're over 250lbs.....that is way too heavy for the stock WR450 springs! I'm 205lbs and went to a 5.8kg/mm rr spring. You need to put higher rate springs on....

• bluebike1999

Posted July 19, 2005 - 03:42 PM

hey greg, have you called Jenny yet?
If you've got enough money lying around to just go buy a 250 for the tight stuff, you'd be better spending it with Jenny craig. bloody hell 125kgs, you must be 7" tall or more. no wonder it felt easier to ride, it probably only got up to 60k's.
I'm 6'1 (186cm) 105kgs. I've never touched the suspension, except to let air out of the forks and i can't fault the way it rides, tight stuff, open stuff, wet dry or other ( maybe i don't know enough to realise) and it's an old 99 400.
I used to have an xr250 and in the single trail tight stuff i was all over any sort of bike, but as soon as we hit a big hill or long straight i ate rocks. I prefer to work a little harder in the tight stuff and be the rocker instead of the rockee on the rest of the trail.
having said that, i believe that had i been on my old xr on the last enduro i went in, i would have been quicker and ended the day much less beaten up, but it couldn't hold a wheelie in 5th at 110 k's.
power is great for fat lazy riders like me, and i don't have to flog the bike like i used to with 250 ( 3 x $900+ rebuilds).
you can't have your cake and eat it too, but it sounds like you might have a few times.
hope you get it sorted greg, happy trails.

• jasilva

Posted July 19, 2005 - 09:24 PM

greg, you really need to up your springs, according to race tech's spring rate calculator you need a .50 front(stock is .46) and a 6.12 rear(stock is 5.3). You got about 25 kg. on me and my stock springs wouldn't cut it for my weight. Even if you get the sag dialed in with the stock spring your way undersprung for your weight. A little known fact with springs is that the more preload you put on them the lower your effective rate is. So by dialing in your sag you are softening the rest of your suspension travel. Race tech has a 6.0 or 6.2 rear but the closest front they have is .48 so if you can't find a higher front rate go with the .48 and raise the oil height 5mm at a time until you get good bottoming resistance with out making the fork to harsh.

Joe

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • gregwr450f

Posted July 19, 2005 - 09:42 PM

If you've got enough money lying around to just go buy a 250 for the tight stuff, you'd be better spending it with Jenny craig. bloody hell 125kgs, you must be 7" tall or more. no wonder it felt easier to ride, it probably only got up to 60k's.
I'm 6'1 (186cm) 105kgs. I've never touched the suspension, except to let air out of the forks and i can't fault the way it rides, tight stuff, open stuff, wet dry or other ( maybe i don't know enough to realise) and it's an old 99 400.
I used to have an xr250 and in the single trail tight stuff i was all over any sort of bike, but as soon as we hit a big hill or long straight i ate rocks. I prefer to work a little harder in the tight stuff and be the rocker instead of the rockee on the rest of the trail.
having said that, i believe that had i been on my old xr on the last enduro i went in, i would have been quicker and ended the day much less beaten up, but it couldn't hold a wheelie in 5th at 110 k's.
power is great for fat lazy riders like me, and i don't have to flog the bike like i used to with 250 ( 3 x $900+ rebuilds).
you can't have your cake and eat it too, but it sounds like you might have a few times.
hope you get it sorted greg, happy trails.

Thanks for your advice you skinny little flea :eek: I'm about 10kg over weight and I'm dead on 6' but fairly solid (big chest and shoulder so watch out or I'll crush you like a bug) :applause:
I'm going to spend some $$$ on the set of the 450, revalve etc.

• gregwr450f

Posted July 19, 2005 - 09:43 PM

Thanks to everyone for the advice, it has helped me heaps.

• flatnacker

Posted July 19, 2005 - 10:18 PM

Bwahahahahahahahahahaha

Sorry Greg, gota admit that was funny!!!

• gregwr450f

Posted July 20, 2005 - 10:53 PM

:applause: :eek: :) :p :p :p

• duke2au

Posted October 24, 2005 - 01:44 PM

Good thread so far... I am still looking for a little info on this topic as well. I just bought a 03 450 and I reckon the guy before me had very little understanding on what the bike should be set at.
Right now the front forks are dropped through the clamps by 3 rings.. there is about 10cm of fork poking through the top??? The suspension is really soft... well it seems soft.
I am about 80Kg at about 5'11 in height and was wondering will the stock settings suit me? What are the stock settings anyway?
:banghead:

• new2fourstrokes

Posted October 24, 2005 - 02:27 PM

Hey Greg, let me know how it goes I've been stuffing around trying to get mine right for weeks. I didn't wanna change the springs if i didn't have too so I'd like to hear how much or little it helped.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.