Dual Sport Wheel Size?

4 replies to this topic
  • Moredesert

Posted July 16, 2005 - 06:20 PM

I have an XR650R that is dual sported, mostly for desert rides in state parks like Death Valley. I have an extra front wheel and I'm building new black rims for it now. I was thinking of building a street only wheel too like a 19". I would run the stock 18" rear with a street tire and the 19? front. Has anyone done this and know what the hot set-up is? Where I can get the right rim and spokes for my stock front hub.

• anttismo

Posted July 17, 2005 - 03:16 AM

I'm kind of keen on a good recomendation on this too. I have mates who run motards (that I'm keen on too) with 17"" front and rear with radial sportsbike tyres. But I've run road tyres in the stock sizes (metzeler me33/lasertech in 21/18) and they do great on the road. Not quite motard stuff, but pretty handy anyway. I wonder is there was a 19" front size that was better all round :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Moredesert

Posted July 17, 2005 - 08:21 PM

I had an idea while I was tinkering around. What if a lace up my 18" rear on the front hub. If it works I can run a 110-80x18 on the front and a 140-80x18 on the rear. :applause:

• x400r

Posted July 19, 2005 - 07:11 AM

i was thinking of doing the same thing. 18" on the front and the rear.

• sportbiker929

Posted July 19, 2005 - 07:29 AM

I have a set of Metzlers that I ran on my CRF. Its a 21 front and a 19Front tire ran on the rear backwards. Worked great. I used them for a 1/2 of a trackday. Someone can have them for $50 plus shiping.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.