5th gear issue

22 replies to this topic
  • stef wr426

Posted July 29, 2005 - 02:18 PM

i have had a dodgy fith gear for ages i just live with it

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 29, 2005 - 04:10 PM

I would not automatically replace the bearings, I would inspect them if they have developed rough spots, if no seizures let sleeping dog's lie.

What you can't tell about a bearing is how fatigued the surfaces are, and when they might start spalling (flaking up of the load bearing surfaces). Consider the job the bearing does, what it's been through, and how heavily loaded it is in operation. Then take your best guess. Or replace it. You pays your money and you takes your chances, as they say. I would replace the main bearings, given the opportunity.

• Hick

Posted July 31, 2005 - 01:09 PM

Have to agree there, bearings are cheap and will probably go in w/out a press (so I hear) if you chill the bearing etc., unless the cases are new, in which case they are a real bear.

Yeah, it looks like it's the picture of the YZF-R1 trans. How'd you get down the list that far?

Not sure, when it comes to me & computers there is no such thing as idiot proof. :D

Yeah, that was a sportbike trans fiche I linked to, sorry... :D

Related Content

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.