5th gear issue

22 replies to this topic
  • Hobo_Joe

Posted July 16, 2005 - 09:32 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been for a ride today and found that the 5th gear has a bit of a prob.
If I ride along at shift up through the gears the first 4 run smoothly, when I change into 5th the bike starts jerking like mad. It almost sounds like its engageing then disengageing constantly. Very worrying to say the least:eek: . If I drop back down through the gears they are still smooth.

Any ideas as to what this could be and how I could go about repairing it? :applause:

Thanks and regards,
Chris

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2005 - 11:34 AM

The gear locking dogs on the 5th and 3rd gear pinions (mainshaft) are worn and rounded so that they don't hold in gear as they should, and the fork that moves the 3rd pinion is bent. Time to overhaul the trans.

Check the condition of the dogs and the gear faces of the other gears, and plan to replace the bearings and all the shift forks.

• olson

Posted July 16, 2005 - 11:37 AM

On A 2006???

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2005 - 11:48 AM

On A 2006???

Where does it say that?

• Hobo_Joe

Posted July 16, 2005 - 03:13 PM

haha, no its a 2001 426.

Gray, how big a job will this be? Also what sort of cost will I be looking at for this. Give it to me in dollers (sure that it would be easyer) I will more than likely be doing the work myself.

• grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2005 - 03:22 PM

I can't give you prices, but it's an engine out and split the cases sort of a big job.

• olson

Posted July 16, 2005 - 04:26 PM

oh it looked like a 2006 450 because how the pipe is built and all..i seen you are in england and sometimes they get biekes before us

• 02YZ426

Posted July 16, 2005 - 08:27 PM

The gear locking dogs on the 5th and 3rd gear pinions (mainshaft) are worn and rounded so that they don't hold in gear as they should, and the fork that moves the 3rd pinion is bent. Time to overhaul the trans.

Check the condition of the dogs and the gear faces of the other gears, and plan to replace the bearings and all the shift forks.

Well said :applause: I bet that is exactly whats going on... same thing happened to my 426. It wasnt too expensive to fix, more of a pain than anything.

• ISBB

Posted July 17, 2005 - 12:37 AM

thought yz's only had 4 gears

• Hobo_Joe

Posted July 17, 2005 - 08:57 AM

Dunno mate, it sure goes up into 5th :applause:
EDIT:

Gary since you ARE the most knowlegeable on this sort of thing :eek:
Please can you let me know which parts Im going to need for this puppy.
This is the site I use to get all the part numbers and stuff to pass onto Yamaha.

http://216.37.204.20...p?Type=12&A=208

I dont really need the part numbers just the section (like Transmission ect) and the number.

I hate to sound stupid, but I really dont want to get the wrong bits and end up leaving my motor apart while I order the right bits.

Thanks in advance
Chris

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2005 - 12:17 PM

How about this: I'll use Yamaha's online parts fiche, http://www.yamaha-mo...parts/home.aspx , and I'll give you the item numbers so you can either point them out in the dealer catalog, or copy down the part numbers yourself, OK?

On the "Transmission" page: Item numbers 3 & 6 are the gears involved.
Carefully check bearings 2, 11, 12, & 24 and replace them if there is any doubt about them.
Buy the two seals, 25 & 27, and check collar #26 for a wear groove.

On the "Shift Cam Fork" page, buy the forks, 8, 9, & 10

The parts I listed are the least you will need, and don't account for seals and gaskets, or any fault you may find with the other 4 gears when you get into the engine. It's up to you to inspect everything else. Check the faces of the teeth of all the rest of the gears for spalling or flaking or other excessive wear conditions, and check the dogs on all of the other gears for any chipping, rounding, or excess wear similar to what you will find on the 5th and 3rd pinions.

Note that in Yamaha's nomenclature, "pinions" are the driving member of the pair, and so are located on the mainshaft. "Wheels" are the driven gear, and are found on the countershaft.

• Hick

Posted July 17, 2005 - 01:03 PM

A lot of those ref #s are matching up to the '01 fiche I'm looking at Gray. Example # 25 is a bearing, # 27 a washer...

Are you looking at the '02 fiche maybe? (parts are going to be the same '01/'02).

http://parts.yamaha-...ifx?d=24702,2,0

Anyway, that is good advice, I would only add that you should make sure all splined gears slide effortlessley along the shafts, and that the associated circlips are not worn, two not uncommon problems that can come back to haunt you.

Hope this helps.

• Hobo_Joe

Posted July 17, 2005 - 03:31 PM

:applause: :eek: :)
Gray you are a life saver, thanks a million. Sorry I couldnt find the genuine yammie page for this, probly wasnt looking hard enough.

Thanks again

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2005 - 03:51 PM

A lot of those ref #s are matching up to the '01 fiche I'm looking at Gray. Example # 25 is a bearing, # 27 a washer...

Are you looking at the '02 fiche maybe? (parts are going to be the same '01/'02).

http://parts.yamaha-...ifx?d=24702,2,0

Nope. In the '01 YZ426 Fiche on the Yamaha web site, 25 is the countershaft seal and 27 is the O-ring that seals between the shaft and collar.

The transmission you have on that image doesn't look at all like the one on their web site. :applause:

• Hick

Posted July 17, 2005 - 09:56 PM

Nope. In the '01 YZ426 Fiche on the Yamaha web site, 25 is the countershaft seal and 27 is the O-ring that seals between the shaft and collar.

The transmission you have on that image doesn't look at all like the one on their web site. :applause:

Umm, Gray, the above image is off the '01 fiche linked in your post above. I linked it directly from there.

Weird...

I guess I clicked the wrong link somehow.

• zeroseven

Posted July 18, 2005 - 08:21 AM

Can't be in England if he got into 5th.....

My YZ426 has five gears ISBB

• zeroseven

Posted July 19, 2005 - 02:01 AM

Can't be in England if he got into 5th.....

My YZ426 has five gears ISBB

• grayracer513

Posted July 19, 2005 - 01:56 PM

I guess I clicked the wrong link somehow.

Yeah, it looks like it's the picture of the YZF-R1 trans. How'd you get down the list that far?

• Pincushion

Posted July 19, 2005 - 03:36 PM

I spent about $300 in gears & shift forks and another $150 in bearings for the lower end to replace 1st, 3rd, 4th & 5th drive gears and 4th pinion gear. Its not cheap and not for the timid. It's quite a big job, but most capable people can handle it with the manual and right tools.

Good luck!

• CHEEZE13

Posted July 20, 2005 - 08:32 AM

I would not automatically replace the bearings, I would inspect them if they have developed rough spots, if no seizures let sleeping dog's lie, I just finished mine 3rd and 4th pinion gear bad as well as fourth and fifth gear plus all 3 shift forks, this will set you back about $450 parts and all (everything), it is not hard, take your time read and understand the schematics, keep parts organized, if you have a digital camera document parts position, and sequence of removal. Do not over analyze this, replace only what is broken, or shows noticeable signs of wear. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.