4 stroke packing?

7 replies to this topic
  • Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 07, 2001 - 04:10 PM

Ive got a FMF Powercore 4 SA silencer and I have never repacked a silencer before but I am going to have to take this task on soon.
I know they make 4-stroke packing but is that stuff any different than the packing they keep on the shelf at my local dealer?
(MSR packing) And do I have to use the 4-stroke packing?

Also, any tips, tricks, items I need on hand before starting to make this a effort free project would be great.

------------------
Darin from Missouri - 1999 WR 400F
Enduro Heaven

• Chris_C

Posted March 08, 2001 - 05:37 AM

I've used attic insulation, after removing the paper coating, on a couple of exhaust systems. It seems to work fine and is definitely a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any reason to believe that this is a bad idea? When I asked a dealer about it, they wouldn't say.

• olson_jr

Posted March 08, 2001 - 01:46 PM

I'm not 100% sure but I don't think this FMF model needs repacking. Why do you think you need to repack it, too loud?

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 08, 2001 - 02:34 PM

No. Honestly it dosent sound a bit different than the day I slipped that beauty on there. Even though instructions dont hold much water with me, it says in the instructions that it should be repacked after every 10 hours of riding. Ive got probably 500 hours on it by now.
I just figured by now it probably needs it if your supposed to do it after 10 hours.

------------------
Enduro Heaven

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scott_F

Posted March 08, 2001 - 03:27 PM

Ten hours, haha, that't if it's packed with cotton candy!

Why not try Silent Sport?

• bonez34

Posted March 08, 2001 - 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Chris C:
I've used attic insulation, after removing the paper coating, on a couple of exhaust systems. It seems to work fine and is definitely a lot cheaper. Does anyone have any reason to believe that this is a bad idea? When I asked a dealer about it, they wouldn't say.

it's a bad idea because your house just lost it's R value. it'll cost you more in power bills than in $10 worth of packing :)!!

just kidding, i've done the same thing with 2 smokes but i wouldn't put it in my $175 a month bike. just splurge!!! bonez

• Clark_Mason

Posted March 08, 2001 - 08:01 PM

I thought the new FMF PC IV SA's were packed using a special steel wool and never required repacking. I would check with FMF before taking it appart as getting the steel wool back in could be a problem.

Clark

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 09, 2001 - 04:47 AM

Ive never heard that before but thanks Clark, I'll check into it.
If this pipe is maintence free, next time I buy another it will definatly be another FMF.

------------------
Enduro Heaven

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.