Duh

25 replies to this topic
  • bluebike1999

Posted July 15, 2005 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for all your advice on why my wr wouldn't start or go. next time i request help, please remember to ask me has it got fuel, and has it got water in the fuel.
Don't forget the real simple stuff.
After two weeks of kicking, kicking,
photo of hole in blundstone boot from kicking.

http://img.photobuck...9/boot_0948.jpg

swearing, puffing, thinking about electric starters, forced to ride sons pw80, I found that there was bloody water in my fuel.
I already bought another plug, drained carby several times and never noticed water, probably wasn't looking.
Then i bought an iridium plug and the bike started 2nd kick, but ran all farty and popping.
Then i needed chainsaw fuel and have been mixing up just 700ml at a time in an old rum bottle and when i drained some in out of my bike fuel tank, there it was, bloody water.
Took tank off and blew it out then dried it with a cloth, drained carb, refueled, about four kicks later it started and ran a bit fluffy for about 30 sec and cleared. now runs absolutely sweet.
was getting worried because i only had yz timing done about 100km ago and had never done any other real mods to it, and was starting to think i should have left it alone.
got another pw80 for youngest son 4y/o. he has had a few rides and can't wait to hit the beach. had to change avatar
thanks all for your help again.

• mjskier

Posted July 15, 2005 - 06:40 PM

next time i request help, please remember to ask me has it got fuel, and has it got water in the fuel.

It's always the simple stuff that gets you. Things I've put on my list
of stupid things not to try again:

- Don't powerwash with the seat off. You fill the airbox with water and the bike doesn't like that. (In retrospect that should be pretty obvious)

- When you fill a brand new tank for a 2 stroke, don't just dump oil in the tank and then go fill up at the pump. All the oil stays at the bottom and the bike won't start.

bruno.

• gregwr450f

Posted July 15, 2005 - 06:41 PM

ARRRRH the simple things in life are often the best.
Glad you got it going.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 15, 2005 - 06:49 PM

here's another little glitch that took me awhile to figure out. put a peice of duct tape over that little hole in the head on the passenger side when you pressurewash. even a little bit of water in there can boil the next time you start and raise all kinds of ignition issues :applause:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 15, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Well at least you made some of us feel better about ourselves. Dont feel like the Lone Ranger, we all do stupid shizit too :eek: . Glad you got it figured out. :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted July 16, 2005 - 04:51 AM

does that sooth the pain a little BnB? :applause:

• Texas4play

Posted July 16, 2005 - 06:40 AM

My buddy got his new bike out of the shop the other day after his break in service and it wouldn't start. He loaded it back up, drove back to the dealer, only to find that he was too low on fuel and needed to be on reserve. He felt really bad and being the true friend I made him feel worse - lol. Course now I'll be cursed for something stupid to happen next.

• RichBaker

Posted July 16, 2005 - 11:27 AM

here's another little glitch that took me awhile to figure out. put a peice of duct tape over that little hole in the head on the passenger side when you pressurewash. even a little bit of water in there can boil the next time you start and raise all kinds of ignition issues :applause:

Passenger side on a bike is the back......... :eek: That would be the right side! :)

• ncmountainman

Posted July 16, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Passenger side on a bike is the back......... :eek: That would be the right side! :)

ya ,ya baker nobody appreciates a smarta$$ like another smarta$$ :p :applause:

• HamBonE_23

Posted July 16, 2005 - 03:15 PM

It was nice for you to share your story because we all do stupid crap but do our best not to let anyone know about it. Good job figuring it out!!!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bluebike1999

Posted July 16, 2005 - 05:31 PM

yeah, maybe I shouldn't have said anything, especially after my oil change embarrassment. I didn't know there was two drain plugs and had changed 500 ml of oil out of the motor 3 times before i noticed a thread on here that he had 1.7l of oil and that there was a drain plug on the frame.
maybe i'll keep the no brainers to myself in future, but it is a laugh.
i have two punctures to fix now. any real obvious tips before i start.
yes i know about rimlocks.
thanks again

• bluebike1999

Posted July 16, 2005 - 05:48 PM

thanks for the tip about the hole, even though it's on the drivers side here.
there is another little hole with what looks like a ball bearing it it just above and behind it. I was telling a friend on the phone about it when my wife walked in and heard me say" I'll have to plug the second hole from the back of the head next time i give her a wash" and she hit me. thanks

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 17, 2005 - 09:04 PM

ncmountainman does that sooth the pain a little BnB?

Yes, it all helps. :eek: :applause:

• flatnacker

Posted July 17, 2005 - 09:09 PM

thanks for the tip about the hole, even though it's on the drivers side here.
there is another little hole with what looks like a ball bearing it it just above and behind it. I was telling a friend on the phone about it when my wife walked in and heard me say" I'll have to plug the second hole from the back of the head next time i give her a wash" and she hit me. thanks

Huh??? how can that hole cause any ignition problems??? Its just a drain hole for the spark plug-shit I dont know how many times I have had water in there form washing it, let alone rides through knee high water :applause:

• gregwr450f

Posted July 17, 2005 - 11:26 PM

Huh??? how can that hole cause any ignition problems??? Its just a drain hole for the spark plug-shit I dont know how many times I have had water in there form washing it, let alone rides through knee high water :applause:

I think what he was saying, he tapes over the hole while washing the bike and forgot to take it off, once the bike is started again any water in there will turn to steam and cause "sparking" probs

• flatnacker

Posted July 17, 2005 - 11:50 PM

hmmmm reads to me like he is saying if you dont tape it up you will get probs??

• gregwr450f

Posted July 18, 2005 - 12:06 AM

This is what Bluebike is referring to.

• flatnacker

Posted July 18, 2005 - 12:26 AM

Yeah I know, I can read ya know sheesh.....I thought he was refering to the post about the gravitational effect on the rotating mass of the crank in time of solar eclipse!!!!

Anyway it says 'put a piece of duct tape over that little hole' not 'dont forget to take the tape off after you have put it over the hole'

Mountain man please settle this one!!!

• gregwr450f

Posted July 18, 2005 - 01:04 AM

gravi..what..ional now your scaring me.

I think you answered your own question.

• flatnacker

Posted July 18, 2005 - 01:19 AM

Argggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh no I havent-I want to know why you need to cover that hole with tape???????????????????????????

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.