WR Side panels

7 replies to this topic
  • jj

Posted March 07, 2001 - 10:26 PM

Anyone have any new or very good condition white WR side panels for sale?

I recently ordered the GYTR side panels that my dealership told me would fit my WR with the stock exhaust. Guess what, they don't fit! I knew I was right! Oddly enough GYTR doesn't make any panels for the WR only the YZ. The WR exhaust side panel sticks out further to accomodate the larger round silencer.

So! If any of you guys that have switched to after market exhaust and have or would be willing to switch to the YZ side panels and give up your WR panels. PLEASE LET ME KNOW!

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• PMAUST

Posted March 07, 2001 - 06:55 PM

JJ, that is bizarr that Yamaha doesn't carry the side panels for the WR!? There is a shop not far from where I live that carries a huge selection of after-market plastic fenders, side covers, et cetera. I will scope it out and let you know what I find. It may be a week though before I can get back to you. I will be scoping out the Grand Canyon for possible future jump. :D Just kidding! :) Paul

• jj

Posted March 08, 2001 - 07:57 AM

That is very kind Pmaust. Actually Yamaha does make the side guards as a replacement for the stock part but they charge $65 PER SIDE AND $20 FOR THE HEAT SHEILDS! What a surprises me is that Yamaha doesn't market WR panels in their aftermarket line, GYTR.

I spent a few hours yesterday going through my all of my catalogs including Tucker Rockie and P-Unlimited and found nothing for just the WR. They all market thei panels for the YZ/WR i.e. YZ panels!

SHHHEEESSSSHHH! What a pain!

------------------
JJ from WA - 99 WR; WR timed, EKN Needle, Scotts stabalizer, Scotts triple clamps, Pro-Tapers, Michelin S-12's, Terry Cable hot start, MSR Raptor clutch lever, Moose skid plate, Works frame guards, Acerbis Pro Rally guards, Renthal MD-soft grips, Factory Effex graphics, YZ IMS seat base, YZ Factory Effex seat foam and gripper seat cover, YZ rear fender

• PMAUST

Posted March 08, 2001 - 06:20 PM

JJ, Yamaha may have thought that the after market would take care of it. Sooner or later I will need to replace mine so I will check it out and let you know if I find a good deal somewhere.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted March 09, 2001 - 06:36 AM

JJ, I've been riding WR's for almost 4 years and I have always ordered the YZ side panels. In fact I just put a pair on my 98 before I sold it, no problems whatsoever. But I usually buy the after market ones because they seem to be cheaper. If you buy the YZ side panels you will need to trim the left panel to accomodate the coolant overflow. Usually this is illustrated on the plastic "for WR cut here". I wouldnt waste my money on genuine Yamaha plastic (it is a little better though) but not worth it in my opinion especially if you put backgrounds on them like I do. Good Luck! Dan

• jj

Posted March 09, 2001 - 08:34 AM

That's really odd Dan. I did see that you need to cut away the plastic to accomodate the resevoir, but I couldn't even come close to getting the Yz plastic to fit over the stock WR silencer. HMMMM

NOW, having said that I did find UFO WR side panels yesterday. They seem to fit OK and even come with heat shielding. You still need to cut away for the resevoir but it does fit over the silencer.

I'm still entertaining the idea of trying to find a 01YZ exhaust...

Thanks for the replys!

------------------

• Jeff_in_AZ

Posted March 11, 2001 - 07:12 AM

I just put on the Acerbis YZ side panels yesterday. They do have the "cut out here" lines for the WR and the right side panel fits just like stock over the WR stock silencer.

• mcarp

Posted March 11, 2001 - 05:58 PM

JJ- I have a pair of stock '00 Wr rear side covers..$20 each if you want them. They are a little sctached , but overall still shiny and never twisted.

email me: mcarpent@uu.net

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.