Does anyone know? about the 06 450?

8 replies to this topic
  • Thumper38

Posted July 15, 2005 - 04:43 AM

I read somewhere that the 06 450 has the same gear ratios in 1st 2nd 3rd! does anyone know if this is true? I really like the 4 speed!

• grayracer513

Posted July 15, 2005 - 03:44 PM

Same as what? The four speed? The old 426? All three the same? Clarify, man.

PS: I don't know anyway.

• Hick

Posted July 15, 2005 - 08:43 PM

All three the same?

:applause:

It wouldn't surprise me if 1-3 is the same, I think I read that somewhere too....

But until I see what the primary ratio is I don't really care. In fact, I won't care after that. You can change the final gearing to suit your purposes.

It does seem plausible that they will stick w/ the 1-3 ratio, and then make 4th, say, 5% shorter and then have a 10% 4th-5th spread. But they may change the primary again, if for no other reason than to accomodate a different clutch-to-main-shaft arrangement...

Whatever may be the case you should be able to make it fit your needs with a sprocket change or two.

• Wyatt

Posted July 16, 2005 - 07:58 AM

Yes. The Yamaha rep that I talked to at Laguna Seca said that 1st thru 3rd had the exact same ratios as the 4 speed. This was great news to me because I salso love the way the ratios are spread on the 4 speed. I would venture to guess that 4 th gear would be a little lower than 4th on the 4 speed and 5th would be higher than the old 4th.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted July 16, 2005 - 11:47 AM

I'd like that. Especially if 4th gear is only a little lower.

Then, it would be really great to find out I could swap the trans into mine! :applause:

• Hick

Posted July 16, 2005 - 03:04 PM

Then, it would be really great to find out I could swap the trans into mine! :applause:

You just knew that one was coming...

You can put a WR tranny w/ 426 gear wheels in your 450 now, no?

• grayracer513

Posted July 17, 2005 - 01:20 PM

I know you can drop in a WR 5sp, but only as a complete trans. In a way, it kind of appeals to me. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are nearly the same ratios as the YZ450 has now, but it has a 5th. I just wonder if 1st is too low.

Whether or not 426 gears will fit onto the WR shafts, I have no idea, but a 426 5spd will NOT drop in a 450. It can be done, but only with some machine work.

What I have wondered about was using a WR trans, but substituting the mainshaft and low gear wheel from a YFZ quad to get a low gear similar to the current YZ450. The quad trans is a pretty tightly spaced box.

• Hick

Posted July 17, 2005 - 01:31 PM

I just wonder if 1st is too low.

Think of a tractor. It is very low.

Whether or not 426 gears will fit onto the WR shafts, I have no idea,

They should, WR 426 gears will fit a YZ 426 tranny, but what I'm forgetting is that first gear is integral to one shaft. So it looks like you are stuck w/ WR first gear if you use that tranny...

I personally would not want a WR first gear for the riding I do. It is a "woods bike" first gear, good for avoiding brake fade on downhills etc.

• WheelsUp

Posted July 17, 2005 - 01:50 PM

I know you can drop in a WR 5sp, but only as a complete trans. In a way, it kind of appeals to me. 2nd, 3rd, and 4th are nearly the same ratios as the YZ450 has now, but it has a 5th. I just wonder if 1st is too low.

I'm not sure about the 450, but keep in mind that on the 250, the rear sprocket is larger than the YZ (52t I think).
What's that going to do to 1st.
OTOH, dropping it into the YZ, you're running a smaller rear, so the whole trans moves up a notch and you've got a 100mph rocket :applause:

My only beef with the WR is the huge spread between 4th and 5th, but I guess 5th isn't really useful under conditions where you need a close ratio.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.