01 WR426 Compression Release Not Working?

7 replies to this topic
  • HamBonE_23

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:54 PM

Right now I have my bike tore down. I just put the top end back on the engine and I'm wondering if I slowly kick it if it should lock up where I need to use the compression release as it did before I disassembled everything? I tried kicking it over (slowly) but the kick starter didn't lock up.

There currently isn't any oil in it yet, the valve cover is on, the spark plug is in, the carb is not on though.

I don't know if there's something I can check before I totally assemble this and put all the fluids back in to realize there's something I forgot to check because the kick starter isn't locking up for me to use the compression release lever or is this normal with the carb off and no fluids in it?

:applause:

• Hamish

Posted July 14, 2005 - 10:57 PM

check cam timing and decomp adjustment. My 426 did the same to me once after reassembling it. These bikes have very light valve springs, and if a bit of carbon finds it way onto the valve seat the valve wont seal and you will have no compression. have a friend Kick it through slowly. Put your ear near the exhaust and inlet ports. You will hear the air escaping.

• HamBonE_23

Posted July 15, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Cam timing is right on.

When i pulled the top end of the engine off could i have messed up something with the decomp adjustment inside?

So will i be able to see the carbon?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted July 15, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Try adjusting the decomp cable so it is tighter. Same thing happened to me and it was just the cable.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Hamish

Posted July 15, 2005 - 05:29 PM

if you are 100% sure that the timing is right and you have clearance on all valves, start her up. You'll probably find it'll 'fix itself' as mine did on 2 occasions.

• HamBonE_23

Posted July 16, 2005 - 03:03 PM

I'll give 'er another shot. Thanks for the input all!

• HamBonE_23

Posted July 18, 2005 - 02:42 PM

Thanks again to everyone that helped with the input! I found out this weekend that there is a tiny shim under the lifter cap that had moved and wasn't resessed. Because of this when i bolted down the cam cap it pushed down on the lifter and didn't give me the "compression lock" as it usually did.

It works now. :eek: I had no damn idea that was even there. I suck, but at least i get to go riding this weekend!!! :applause:

• ISBB

Posted July 18, 2005 - 05:27 PM

sweet.. :applause: post back a ride report.. :eek:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.