More sag for better handling

6 replies to this topic
  • Thumper38

Posted July 14, 2005 - 05:02 AM

I was wondering if anyone has tried more race sag than normal? I am still fighting the front end from pushing and a little head shake, so I let my friend ride my bike and he feels that it needs at least 1" more sag. So I am going to give it a try, he is a fast vet A guy and really seems to know his stuff. I am a top 3 or 4 vet B rider so our speeds are not off to far. :applause: :eek:

• ncmountainman

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:09 AM

i run more sag (lighter than recomended spring)with heavy front springs and i like the feel better,but thats for offroad btw which requires soft suspension :applause:

• gonzo

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:14 AM

If you run more sag your going to make it worse. The problem your having is the chopper effect of the bike with too much sag. You need to decrease it about 5-10 mm. It's pushing because your not laying the bike over enough because you dont have enough weight on the front because your rear end is sitting too low. Also drop your forks down in the triple clamps. You've probably got them too high and that's whats causing the headshake.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dunecj2a

Posted July 15, 2005 - 10:35 AM

If you run more sag your going to make it worse. The problem your having is the chopper effect of the bike with too much sag. You need to decrease it about 5-10 mm. It's pushing because your not laying the bike over enough because you dont have enough weight on the front because your rear end is sitting too low. Also drop your forks down in the triple clamps. You've probably got them too high and that's whats causing the headshake.

Yeah go with Gonzo :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted July 15, 2005 - 11:26 AM

i'm 6'4" 280+ and for me the front end seems very low with the reccomended setup. maybe my belly puts too much weight on the front :applause:

• johnmeasures

Posted July 15, 2005 - 12:59 PM

http://www.ohlins.co...te_tuning.shtml
http://www.adobe.com.../readstep2.html
The sag should be set up as per the manufacturers instructions to compensate for the weight of the rider. If you have handling glitches try downloading the Ohlins suspension tuning manual, it has a little troubleshooting guide in it. You will need Adobe Reader to read the document. Best wishes

• johnmeasures

Posted July 15, 2005 - 01:01 PM

Or if you know someone with KTM manuals, they have great suspension manuals for the forks and shock with excellent troubleshooting guides. Don't mind which model, the suspension tuning advice is the same in all of them

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.