Vortex CDI for YZ450F

3 replies to this topic
  • johnmeasures

Posted July 14, 2005 - 02:50 AM

Anyone used a Vortex CDI with an '05 YZ450F? What difference to performance? What pipe & carb setup with the Vortex? Also I have a Vortex taken from my old YZ250F '03, is it transferrable to the 450? (I would get it re-programmed). Thanks

• MattyH

Posted July 14, 2005 - 05:04 AM

i wouldnt have thought the ignition system would affect the jetting greatly, though feel free to correct me if i'm wrong, cos its the spark you are changing not the jetting so if its jetted to suit the pipe that you have on the bike i couldnt see that there'd be any difference

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jdd123

Posted July 14, 2005 - 07:19 AM

The ignition does not affect the jetting but it can simulate jetting problems. The stock ignition on my 04 had a spot at 1/4 throttle I could not get rid of by jetting. With the Vortex,there were 5 of 10 settings that that spot was gone. I was told by Vortex that the stock CDI drops the spark plug voltage to like 1 volt when it is interpolating between two maps. It definitely dropped the voltage and acted rich with the stock CDI. Now, as I ride a little different with the throttle, I do not notice the stutter much when I ride a Vortex setting that it is present.

• grayracer513

Posted July 14, 2005 - 07:48 AM

I have a Vortex taken from my old YZ250F '03, is it transferrable to the 450?

No. At least I'm reasonably sure it won't. A number of people would have substituted and '04 CDI on their '05 if they were interchangeable. But I've seen posts stating the harness is different.

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.