WR450F=Street Legal

8 replies to this topic
  • sick439

Posted July 13, 2005 - 07:17 PM

Hey i plan to get an 05 WR450F and want to make it street legal. I just want to see the things I will need to make it street legal. I see the supermoto tires and they look sick, they seem they are the best for the street but could i ride with them on dirt roads?

Also I want tails/Brake Lights to be very hidden, so you cant really see that they are there. ANd look very much like a dirt bike. Iv seen a couple Street legal WR450f's with very hidden taillights but dont know who makes them????

Thanks

• flatnacker

Posted July 13, 2005 - 07:29 PM

Also I want tails/Brake Lights to be very hidden, so you cant really see that they are there. Thanks

Hmmm be very hidden so that other car drivers cant see them and turn you into road kill huh??? Mate its a dirt bike, and those blinky things and the red light are actually there for a reason.......I know they look shit, but so do skin grafts and amputations :applause:

• Blaster21996

Posted July 13, 2005 - 07:59 PM

Hey i plan to get an 05 WR450F and want to make it street legal. I just want to see the things I will need to make it street legal. I see the supermoto tires and they look sick, they seem they are the best for the street but could i ride with them on dirt roads?

Also I want tails/Brake Lights to be very hidden, so you cant really see that they are there. ANd look very much like a dirt bike. Iv seen a couple Street legal WR450f's with very hidden taillights but dont know who makes them????

Thanks

These guys make some nice low key stuff.
http://www.elineacce...isportkits.html

• cgun

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:02 PM

I don't know the requirements for your state, but there is a guy in Kaysville, Utah who sells kits on eBay for less than $100. The kit is very minimal, but I've got two WRs inspected and licensed with them: horn, mirror, brake light, license plate holder.

For more complete kits you can look at Baja Designs, Trick Dual Sport, Electrex USA, and there are probably others. These kits will be more in the $400-$500 range. Many here have "rolled their own", which is what I plan to do for turn signals. They aren't required in Utah, but after riding the road a few times I think I want to install some - but they will not be DOT approved since I want them to hug the rear fender.

There are also several DOT approved knobbies you can buy. It all depends on how much road use you expect. I myself will do very little road riding. Check out Rocky Mountain ATV to see a pretty good selection of tires.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sick439

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:12 PM

Alright cool, I have seen LED tailights that actually have the blinkers inside that and have also seen tail lights hooked onto the sides of the back fenders..anyone know about that?

Also would I be able to fit the supermoto tires or dual sport tires on the stock rims or should i change rims too?

• flatnacker

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:20 PM

o.k ignoe me then, just some helpfull advice. Anyways......get another set of rims-that way you will have the best of both worlds, nobbies for dirt and slicks for the road, all in about a 20 min change over :applause:

• minion

Posted July 14, 2005 - 07:43 AM

Do a search on here for street legal wr450... I posted my entire parts list, and pics from doing it, and my turn signals are flush mounts.

But I ride very little on the road with it - mostly I made it street legal so I could go from trail to trail in the mountains legally, and because full coverage insurance (which includes theft) is really cheap compared to insuring the bike if its not street legal.

It rides horribly on the street. You butt will hate you for sitting down that long on that hard seat. Dirt bikes aren't meant to be sat on for that long, you should be standing.

• Matty05

Posted July 14, 2005 - 03:17 PM

I run a YZ rear guard and an Acerbis LED tail light extention. Very sano!
I had to cut out a bit on the left side to fit over the bracket for the coolant but it took me about 5 min to do. I have not got any rear blinkers on but I have to make up a bracket for that.

Anyways, don't the WR's come street legal in the USA???? They do in Australia - hence all the ADR crap on the bike.

• firezwr426

Posted July 14, 2005 - 03:25 PM

I don't know the requirements for your state, but there is a guy in Kaysville, Utah who sells kits on eBay for less than $100. The kit is very minimal, but I've got two WRs inspected and licensed with them: horn, mirror, brake light, license plate holder.

I have this kit and really like it.. very clean, simple and has detailed fool proof instrcuctions.. only takes about 10mins to install... :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.