Bleeding the front brake on a BRP

15 replies to this topic
  • InternalCombustion

Posted July 13, 2005 - 02:27 PM

I need help.

I installed a 320 mm rotor on my BRP and a Russell braided brake line. Now I am having fits trying to get the brake lever not to be spongy. Here's what I have done so far:

1. I did a "normal" bleed procedure: opened bleed fitting on caliper and added fluid to reservoir while pumping the lever, until clear fuild came out of the bleed nipple. No joy.

2. Repaeted #1. Still no joy.

3. Replaced the cap and tightened the bleed nipple. Took the master cylinder / brake lever assembply off of the bars, holding it at different angles and tapped it with a nylon mallet while squeezing the lever. Still spongy.

4. In DESPARATION I took it to my usually okay Honda dealer. CRAPPP!! It's worse now than ever!

5. Called Rob Barnum. HE said to do a "reverse" bleed, connecting a clear tube to the bleed nipple and a clean old-fashioned oil can. Removed the reservoir cap and pumped fluid up through the bleed nipple, through the brake line, through the master cylinder, to overflow from the reservoir. Nope, still spongy.

Okay, I paid big bucks (at least for me) for the rotor, medium bucks for the braided line. My desired outcome was NOT a spongy lever. Yeah, the bike stops big-time with that 320 mm rotor but I gotta SQEEEEEEZE it. That setup should not be spongy!

Anyone have any ideas what to do to get the air out???

Depsarate in Mountain Top.

• needsprayer

Posted July 13, 2005 - 03:12 PM

Remove the caliper and disc pads. Inspect the disc pads. Clean the cylinders of any residue.

• BWB63

Posted July 13, 2005 - 04:11 PM

Are you squeezing the brake lever (and while it's still squeezed in) then opening the bleed valve? After it squirts (while it's still squeezed in) closing the bleed valve, then letting off the lever? If you are just pumping the lever you are pulling air in when you let off the lever. Takes two or a bleed valve kit.

Bleed valve kit is just a clear hose that you put on the end of the bleed valve and into a jar of brake fluid. (It has a loop in the hose and is ty wrapped to it's self) You do as above till the hose is full of fluid. then you can pump all you want without sucking air back in.

• irondude

Posted July 13, 2005 - 05:45 PM

dont do multiple pulls on the lever.
pull it in once, and slowly let out the bleed nut.
as the lever gets near the grips, quickly tighten the bleed nut BEFORE you go totally soft.

REPEAT.

ok if you did that 11234 times already...

Consider taking it to a shop that uses a vacum. Cycle Pit Stop in Orange, CA does it that way. Works like a charm. Send the unit to them if you cant find a place nearby?

You might also need to rebuild your brake. First try spraying the hell out of the little sping at the lever with WD-40. I've seen a few that neede a rebuild to get that spongy feel out...its not always the dreaded air in the oil.

i bet your issue isnt air at at.

use the force....and focus on the lever/dirt/rubber.

been there myself. lots of guys have had this happen.

• frankstr

Posted July 13, 2005 - 06:18 PM

I just installed a Galfer front brake line and maybe took a whole 5 minutes to bleed the brakes, Use a vacuum pump, Its the only way to bleed brakes easily.. :applause: :eek:

• jws

Posted July 13, 2005 - 06:39 PM

5. Called Rob Barnum. HE said to do a "reverse" bleed, connecting a clear tube to the bleed nipple and a clean old-fashioned oil can. Removed the reservoir cap and pumped fluid up through the bleed nipple, through the brake line, through the master cylinder, to overflow from the reservoir. Nope, still spongy.

This what i do - works every time :eek:

Cycle Pit Stop in Orange, CA does it that way. Works like a charm. Send the unit to them if you cant find a place nearby?

I thought they closed :applause:

• irondude

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:13 PM

i was in there last week.
shop was doing great.

thats my favorite shop in socal. Cycle Pit Stop!

i drive from San Clemente past 3-4 big bike shops just becouse they are so NON attitude. + they carry the right stuff, plus they are super friendly and they actually know what they are talking about (usually!)

out local red dealer is so :applause: its full of 19 year olds with SO much attitude.

i cringe whenever i have to go in there...

sorry to hijack the post....

YEAh--get it vacummed!

Honda sells a rebuild kit for the front break. I still think thats what you need.

• TimBrp

Posted July 14, 2005 - 02:53 AM

I just installed a Galfer front brake line and maybe took a whole 5 minutes to bleed the brakes, Use a vacuum pump, Its the only way to bleed brakes easily.. :applause: :eek:

What Frank said. That's the route I went as it was the only route that worked. Autozone has a nice metal pump in there loaner section.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • GreginFL

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:08 AM

I went through the same thing. I ended up removing the caliper and the guide that holds the brakeline and lifting the caliper above the level of the handlebars. My theory was that the air bubbles would much rather go up than down. I put a piece of metal ( about the thickness of the brake disk) between the pistons so they would not pop out and did the normal brake bleed (squeeze, bleed, close, release, repeat). This worked fine with no unique tools.

• InternalCombustion

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:12 AM

Yep, failing any other ideas being posted here, your idea was exactly my next plan of action.

• sportbiker929

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:28 AM

just did the same on my 650R. You should bleed the master cylinder first. then suck the fluid through with a vacuum pump. 20min max, rock solid lever.

• SaltyWalrus

Posted July 14, 2005 - 11:36 AM

My buddy has a plastic hand vacuum pump that he bought for under $30. This is a link to something more expensive, but similar: http://www.autobarn....hanvacpumb.html

• Neil Claydon

Posted July 19, 2005 - 08:09 AM

Re: brake bleeding help?????

The quickest way I have ever found to bleed brakes, without investing money in special tools is as follows. Using a large syringe and a piece of tube, inject fluid in through the bleed nipple, while having the nipple just cracked open. To prevent air being dragged in, a couple of turns of plumbers PTFE tape around the bleed nipple thread may be needed, and care needs to be taken not to over fill the master cylinder.
Neil

:applause:

• TimBrp

Posted July 19, 2005 - 08:39 AM

That's another idea. However, who's got a huge syringe lying around? Any heroin addicts on the board? LOL!

• aussiexr

Posted July 19, 2005 - 02:05 PM

G`day
Had the same trouble with the rear.Done exactly as Ron does but used a sauce bottle top twist type(thread on top was same as fluid container lucky ay) with clear tube to bleed nipple,squeeze brake fluid till bubbles stop coming out master cylinder nip up bleed nipple pump and bleed as normal.
Steve B

• Neil Claydon

Posted July 19, 2005 - 05:21 PM

That's another idea. However, who's got a huge syringe lying around? Any heroin addicts on the board? LOL!

Ask the local Veterinarian, that's where I got a couple from. Failing that the local Hospitals Casualty department.
Neil.

:applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.