WRF4?? on the MX track ?

71 replies to this topic
  • flatnacker

Posted July 17, 2005 - 03:57 PM

There is almost no difference in the cover.

Actually there is a huge difference between the two covers and is easily noticable. The 2003 cover is perfectly flat, where as the 2004 cover has like a dome sort of shape to it to provide the extra room needed.

This isnt directed at anyone in particular-just the net as a whole but it really shits me when you have all the try hard idiots who post info as fact when they dont really know what they are talking about. Ive said this before but it is so frustrating when you are trying to get info and everyone chimes in with a statement as if it were fact even if they have no idea. As a result I often have to search for hours and hours on end just to find out what the actually truth is!!!

Its like on the oz site dirtbikeworld.net. You ask a question about what mods to do to a WR and you will get these wankers replying like they are ledgends saying to remove the throttle stop and cut the grey wire etc then you find out that those mods arnt applicable to oz bikes :applause: If they dont know why open their mouth???????

• Matty05

Posted July 17, 2005 - 04:06 PM

wankers replying like they are ledgends saying to remove the throttle stop and cut the grey wire etc then you find out that those mods arnt applicable to oz bikes

These mods work on the Aussie '05 models!!!!! :applause:

• flatnacker

Posted July 17, 2005 - 04:25 PM

No they dont-they oz bike already come witht he shorter throttle screw and none of the wire mods are applicable to our bikes. Its funny though-you read on here about all these guys cutting these wires but no one actually knows what they do or why they are cutting them lol!!!!

• Matty05

Posted July 17, 2005 - 04:53 PM

The short screw came with my YRD info sheets.

I didn't cut my grey wire, I just pulled it out and wraped it in electrical tape.
No way would I cut anything as I dont know what the F@&# it does in the first place!

I too can't believe what some people would do to their bikes. Quite funny!

• flatnacker

Posted July 17, 2005 - 05:01 PM

The short screw came with my YRD info sheets.

Yeah thats what I meant-most shops already have them installed before purchase- did you have to install yours yourself????

And does anyone actually know what the infamous 'grey' wire does?? Some people say its the rev limiter, other say it changes the timing but most funny of all others say they 'think' it makes a difference :applause:

• Math

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:13 AM

Yes STAY AWAY FROM THE '03 WR's! That massive $150 mod to fix the starter (which you probably pay more for in tires :applause: ) makes that bike the Edsel of Yamaha trail bikes! (you may have to get a paper route!) To be avoided at all costs! There are many of other things wrong with the '03 too. (I'll let you know what they are as soon as I get creative and dream up some more catastrophic problems and I want to sound smart on this forum.) :eek: :p :)

2003 WR's should be sold for $200 tops. Please PM me if you would like to sell me yours. I'm looking to build a stable of WR's and I want to buy perfectly good bikes for peanuts. :p :p :p

Good Jeez Digit,

What should have we done? Hide this 8 post TTalker the fact that Yam had trouble the year the e-start was released and then let this guy have the surprise????

Man, we know nothing about this guy, he might be the best mechanic in the world or he might not even know what a woodruff key is and never come back to yam again if his 03 bike breaks.

My situation as an example: I bought a WR while I was a student knowing that I would have to do all the maintenance by myself since I had not enough money to bring it to the shop all the time: too expensive. My 01 has been darn reliable so far and easy to maintain. Great since I'm not a mechanic at all and money was rare by those days I bought it!!! Tell me what I would have done with a broken 03. I'll tell you what: it would have stay in the garage for a couple of months until the time I find some money to bring it to the shop (about $350 cdn here). Hooo... my wife would have been happy as a ballet dancer to see the bike in the garage after all the sacrifice she was willing to do for me to get this bike and even more happy to know that it would need a few more hundreds to get running!

Chill out man. The woodruff key sharing is the worse bog WRs had since 2001. What year? Year: 2003. Not saying it can't be fixed. Just saying I'd be way more comfy buying a 02 or a 04.

Wood ruff key , not a problem? You guys are maniacs :p This is why I love TT :mad: :p

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:19 AM

Actually, there have been a number of catastrophic failures related to the woodruff key issue. That was MY point.

Just because I do what I do for a living doesn't make me any better than anyone else. But it also is no reason to try and make yourself look superior at my expense. Should I take whatever knowledge I have and just keep it to myself? Then you would be the only one to benefit. I'd rather share my expertise when I can. Isn't that the whole point of this forum? If my posts make a potential buyer go out and get more info before buying, that's a good thing. Burying your head in the sand and pretending there's not really an issue does no one any good. Well, except maybe the seller of an '03 WR. :eek:

:p :p :p

When have I ever even made reference to you Rick? (You are actually the one that called me a jerk.) :) I don't know why, but you got uber sensitive to my smartass post slamming the blown out of proportion starter issue. I know the bikes have a bum starter.......that's about it. Catatrophic failures you say? I've heard of people having to walk home, but not any motor disasters.

Anyway......don't take things so personal man. I'm sure there are a million people that know more than I, and a million that know more than you, so let's just call it even and give each other a big, non-gay hug. :p (I've never used that smiley, and maybe never will again.)

You write motorcycle stuff for a living?

Got any job openings? :applause:

• Stinson

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:21 AM

Flatnacker, thank you for the correction. I didnt notice a big difference when I did the up grade on the covers. Ill take a look again. It was a while ago when I did the upgrade so it is not to fresh in my memory. Once again thats why we all come to a forum like this because not one person knows everything about these bike its a collaboration of knowlege. Cya Stinson

• Math

Posted July 18, 2005 - 07:45 AM

[quote name='DIGITAL_SOLDIER']
...so let's just call it even and give each other a big, non-gay hug. :applause: (I've never used that smiley, and maybe never will again.)QUOTE]

lol! :eek: :) :p

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted July 18, 2005 - 08:40 AM

[quote name='Math']Good Jeez Digit,

What should have we done? Hide this 8 post TTalker the fact that Yam had trouble the year the e-start was released and then let this guy have the surprise???? QUOTE]

Absolutely not. I didn't imply that we should hide anything from him. It was YOU actually that said the '03 is to be avoided at all costs. I just wanted to clarify that the bike is not bad other than the starter issue. I may have slammed a little harder than necessary, but when it's your bike that's getting labeled "lemon" you tend to get a little fiesty.(my bike rocks, as do other '03s once that minor mod is done) :applause:

Sorry about the increased sarcasm,I've been extra grumpy lately........humans make me angry.

(MATH, I'm still trying to figure out what your avatar is. Help me.)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Math

Posted July 18, 2005 - 09:34 AM

...It was YOU actually that said the '03 is to be avoided at all costs. I just wanted to clarify that the bike is not bad other than the starter issue. I may have slammed a little harder than necessary, but when it's your bike that's getting labeled "lemon" you tend to get a little fiesty...
Sorry about the increased sarcasm,I've been extra grumpy lately........humans make me angry.

(MATH, I'm still trying to figure out what your avatar is. Help me.)

My fault, I used to be hard on the 03 cause I really think that the problem you guys had is unnacceptable. When you buy a 6000K bike with no warranty, the minimum would be to have a "perfect" bike (just like the 01 and up were). Plus I remember some TTers were disappointed with the attitude their retailer and also Yamaha-motor had when the problem occured...

Last thing is that when you're a little frightened by having to do the work yourself on the bike, every problem requiring the "basement" to be open is a major problem.

It might not be such a big problem but for a mechanic newbie like me, it is.

Sincerely I'm very happy to know your bike rocks :applause:

About my avatar, I was wondering how much time it was still going to take before somebody ask! :) :p :eek: What you see on my avatar is the face of "Goldorak". Goldorak is a manga (Japanese toon) I used to watch when I was about 5 yrs old. The hero of this serie pilots a giant robot (goldorak) against aliens that want to destroy Earth... Of course, Goldorak is just unbreakable... When I look back at it, I'm stunned to see how violent it was... not sure if I'm gonna let Louis (my son) watch this out before he's like.... 17!

Later,

• RADRick

Posted July 18, 2005 - 09:58 AM

Its funny though-you read on here about all these guys cutting these wires but no one actually knows what they do or why they are cutting them lol!!!!

I know and I've posted it in here before. In order for the WR to pass EPA sound tests, the engine must be limited to a certain RPM limit. The longer throttle stop screw and an adjusted ignition timing map that is accessed via the gray wire is how this is accomplished on U.S. models. By using the YZ throttle stop screw and disconnecting the gray wire (which then allows access to the same ignition map as a YZ), the engine can access its full RPM potential. I not only got this info direct from Yamaha, but I proved it on the dyno with my own bike.

• Elmo777

Posted July 18, 2005 - 04:20 PM

I know and I've posted it in here before. In order for the WR to pass EPA sound tests, the engine must be limited to a certain RPM limit. The longer throttle stop screw and an adjusted ignition timing map that is accessed via the gray wire is how this is accomplished on U.S. models. By using the YZ throttle stop screw and disconnecting the gray wire (which then allows access to the same ignition map as a YZ), the engine can access its full RPM potential. I not only got this info direct from Yamaha, but I proved it on the dyno with my own bike.

You are absolutely 100% correct on the throttle limiter and grey wire.

• RADRick

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:15 PM

You are absolutely 100% correct on the throttle limiter and grey wire.

Thanks for noticing. :applause:

• flatnacker

Posted July 18, 2005 - 09:10 PM

disconnecting the gray wire (which then allows access to the same ignition map as a YZ), the engine can access its full RPM potential. I not only got this info direct from Yamaha, but I proved it on the dyno with my own bike.

So what your saying is you have changed your timing for your WR to that of a YZ even though they have different cams...hmmmmmmmmm :applause: I can understand this logic if you had changed the cams otherwise &%$#@!?

• Matty05

Posted July 18, 2005 - 09:59 PM

Just ignition timing, not cam timing.
Like vortex ignitions, you can select from 10 different settings.

• flatnacker

Posted July 18, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Yeah thats what Im getting at-why would you want to change the ignition timing unless you change the cams? Shouldnt it already be timed correctly for the cam thats in it? My understanding was that this mod advances the ignition timing, I thought you would only want to change timing if you change the compression or cams...ahhhh this is all getting to confusing for my meager brain!! Beside I'll admit in this department I have no idea what Im talking about really.....

• Matty05

Posted July 18, 2005 - 10:11 PM

Factory WR's are lame.........
Should have got a YZ!

• flatnacker

Posted July 18, 2005 - 10:24 PM

I swear I feel like Im in the Twilightzone sometimes....what are you going on about Matty? You have two WR's, beside Im wrapped with my WR now-it seriously rips and I have no doubt I could flog most guys on a yz anyday. Most people try to blame the equipment for their inabilities-had an ol codger absolutly flog everyone on the weekend, he was on an ol xr 400, there were all these other guys with bling bling go fast goodies, talk about embarrassing lol!!!!

• Matty05

Posted July 18, 2005 - 11:15 PM

Nah man, my point is that you don't have to do all this stuff to a yz to get it to go.
My two mates got yz450's when I got my bikes, they are heaps lighter than even the wr250. Weight is everything on the MX track, the wr's just don't cut it.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.