Clutch cable replacement

2 replies to this topic
  • roostmonster

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:38 AM

just bought a 99 YZ 400. Clutch cable "quick" adjust on the handle bar was all the way out and I had like an 1" of play on my lever. I tried adjusting down at the other end, "clutch post" I think it's called, and all I did was jack with the engage/disengage timing in relation to clutch lever position. It did nothing to shorten the cable. Clutch seems to work great but too much play in lever for me. I figured bike is 6 years old, cable looks like it is s t r e t c h e d out so I bought a new one. Cheap insurance I guess. Anyways, The manual I got with the bike is a "genuine" yamaha shop manual. It does not give any specific instructions for replacing the cable. Is there any issues or "special" techniques that I need to be aware of before I just replace old with new? Any help would be appreciated.

He who rides last in line is still riding............Yeeee Haaaaaa

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roostmonster

Posted July 13, 2005 - 05:45 PM

I was wondering why I did not get any responses to my question. We'll I just spent a whopping 4 minutes changing out the clutch cable. 3 minutes of that was getting my T handle and chair out. Most simple task I think I have ever done. Sorry for wasting space. I'll make sure I try before I ask next time. Guess thats why the TT Newbie is under me name eh..........

• Hobo_Joe

Posted July 14, 2005 - 01:39 PM

haha, did the same thing today, was easyer than I expected. And as you said the T handle is the most time consuming :applause:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.