Leak Jet?

8 replies to this topic
  • sausage boy

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:27 AM

can anyone tell me what the leak jet is for? i have read threads where people have blocked it with solder. :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 13, 2005 - 09:43 AM

The leak jet allows some of the AC pump squirt volume to leak back into the float bowl. #40 leak jet seems to work best for WR450. I use the "zero" leak jet for winter riding. :applause:

• sausage boy

Posted July 13, 2005 - 10:14 AM

The leak jet allows some of the AC pump squirt volume to leak back into the float bowl. #40 leak jet seems to work best for WR450. I use the "zero" leak jet for winter riding. :eek:

thanks indi,
i have just changed the leak jet to a 40, i haven't had chance to try it yet, do you think it will help reduce the dreaded Bog? :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 13, 2005 - 11:27 AM

The treaded bog is caused by many possible issues you just have to find out what is causing it:

Too early an AC pump squirt timing.
To little/too much AC pump squirt volume
Too rich/lean a pilot circuit.

Keep playing with the carb and eliminate the dreaded bog! :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • sausage boy

Posted July 14, 2005 - 06:52 PM

The treaded bog is caused by many possible issues you just have to find out what is causing it:

Too early an AC pump squirt timing.
To little/too much AC pump squirt volume
Too rich/lean a pilot circuit.

Keep playing with the carb and eliminate the dreaded bog! :p

i'm running red #3 160 main i dropped the pilot jet to a 42 and the leak jet to a 40, i think i have eliminated the breaded dog :applause: i just have to check the plug, the altitude i ride is 8,000' -11,000' so i'm running pretty weak now, how much power do you lose at those altitude? i also installed a "power now" not sure what it did for the bike :) i know it erased $100 from my bank :eek:
thanks

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 15, 2005 - 03:27 AM

At 10,000. feet you lose approx 20% of the HP at seal level. That is why a 250 four stroke is so weak at high altitude. The 450 should feel more like a 350 at those altitudes. Your jetting looks good to me. I run a 45 pilot at 10,000. feet but each carb jets a little different. :applause:

• sausage boy

Posted July 15, 2005 - 08:21 AM

At 10,000. feet you lose approx 20% of the HP at seal level. That is why a 250 four stroke is so weak at high altitude. The 450 should feel more like a 350 at those altitudes. Your jetting looks good to me. I run a 45 pilot at 10,000. feet but each carb jets a little different. :eek:

thanks Indy :applause:

• chipwich

Posted July 17, 2005 - 07:38 PM

Guys, I dropped into my local Yamaha dealer and tried to purchase a #40 leak jet, but he couldn't find the part listed. Does anyone have the part number and an online source? I'm going with a bunch of guys to Ouray Col. in Aug, and want to make some jetting changes for altitude. I thought while I have the carb off, I'd try the leak jet swap. Any help with this would be much appreciated.

• SpeedBlitz

Posted July 18, 2005 - 05:03 AM

chipwich, check the Jetting D-Base. The part numbers for all jets are listed there on page 4 or 5 of the database.

http://www.thumperta...ht=part numbers

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.