Need help changing rear shock spring

25 replies to this topic
  • Yamaha WR400F

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the input.
I did raise my forks 5mm a while back, seems to turn better also.
My friend has a auto shop I'll ask him if he has a spring Compressor.
I also had someone adjust all my settings last week, a lot better now.

• beezer

Posted August 05, 2005 - 04:59 PM

The correct spring is very important. I always put heavier springs in as soon as possible. My 05 WR450 was harsh in the woods. I had to run lots of preload. I weigh 210 in my gear.

I put in heavier springs in both ends and the ride was much better. I didn't revalve. I use less compression dampening and more rebound and the bike is has pretty good suspension.

I bet you can change your own fork oil and put in new springs at the same time. The manual shows you how to do it. The rear shock probably just needs an oil change. I would grease the swingarm and bearings while I was at it.

• bg10459

Posted August 05, 2005 - 05:13 PM

I don't know, maybe it was the newer bike, but I put in a 6.4 with no problems. Setting sag was a breeze as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yamaha WR400F

Posted August 09, 2005 - 11:08 AM

I put the spring on last night, no spring compressor needed. :D
I almost have the race sag, and static sag set.
I bought a sag tool, can't wait to get it.
It's hard to set by yourself.
I have the rear rim off getting a new tire.
I'll put that on and take it for a test ride on Friday.
Allready a big difference in seat height.
I just hope this doesn't affect the way the front end feels.
Thanks to everyone who gave input.
Chuck

• slotracer577

Posted August 09, 2005 - 06:21 PM

I had my forks, and shock adjusted by someone who knew what he was doing!!
Not me.
I had my seals redone, and the shop had my clickers out of wack.
Not even on either side, top or bottom!!
Now if I can just get the time to change the shock!!
Do I need a spring compressor for this?

No, you dont need a spring compressor. Usually you can just back off the preload enough to get the spring off. If that isnt enough, use 3 large hose clamps to compress the spring, quick and cheap. I put my old YZ spring at 5.7 on my 03 and it still probably needs more spring.

• Matty05

Posted August 10, 2005 - 02:57 AM

No, you dont need a spring compressor. Usually you can just back off the preload enough to get the spring off. If that isnt enough, use 3 large hose clamps to compress the spring, quick and cheap. I put my old YZ spring at 5.7 on my 03 and it still probably needs more spring.

That's a great idea man! Safe too! :D

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.