Bike Still Wont Start !!!!!!!!!!!!

6 replies to this topic
  • pauly

Posted July 13, 2005 - 02:03 AM

Hi All,

OK - so last time the bike would not start - I changed the fuel and put a new plug in - unplugged the kill switch and nothing !

Got it started by kicking the crap out of it ! been out on it and when it was warm it started fine.

But the next day I went to start it and all it does now is back fire, and it does not start.

Could this be a timing problem ??????

Its a YZF426 2003

Any ideas would be great thanks

Paul

• ovrrdrive

Posted July 13, 2005 - 02:28 AM

Hate to say it, but it sounds like a fouled plug.

Maybe your jetting is off causing it to foul...?

• sirthumpalot

Posted July 13, 2005 - 04:15 AM

Put in a new spark plug

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machoman_#618

Posted July 13, 2005 - 11:42 AM

Paul it must be a 2002..........they quit making them by 2003. I would check the valve pads to see if your in spec still. If it runs fine hot but hard to start..........well thats when I know I need to adjust mine. Also you might want to clean out your boot in between the carb and filter. Insure you air filter is not wet when installing. this will cause the plug to wet foul ...time and time again.

• Ga426owner

Posted July 13, 2005 - 12:54 PM

Hi All,

OK - so last time the bike would not start - I changed the fuel and put a new plug in - unplugged the kill switch and nothing !

Got it started by kicking the crap out of it ! been out on it and when it was warm it started fine.

But the next day I went to start it and all it does now is back fire, and it does not start.

Could this be a timing problem ??????

Its a YZF426 2003

Any ideas would be great thanks

Paul

Here is my list to check & address

1. Plug
2. Dirty carb / wet airfilter
3. Valves need adjusting
4. Electrical failure - last resort

• MisterMan

Posted July 13, 2005 - 12:58 PM

you start'n it like a 2-stroke???? ****/W/ THESE BIKES, NEVER NEVER NEVER TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHILE ATTEMPTING TO START IT.**** if not that, jetting?

• s3706

Posted July 13, 2005 - 01:24 PM

paul,

I ran into a similar problem with my 00 426 when I was trying to start it all it would do is back fire. I turned the fuel screw all the way in and then back it out 1 and 1/2 turns and then tried to start it if it did not start i would turn it out another 1/4 of a turn until it fired and then i let it warm up and made my fine tuning adjustments to the fuel screw. I would not adjust the fuel screw out more than 2 3/4 turns. If you adjust it more than that you need to go up a size on your pilot jet. I would buy an easy adjust fuel screw it makes it alot easier to make adjustments. Before doing this i had checked my valves, cleaned the carb and checked all fittings to make sure they were tight. I hope this helps with your starting issue. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.