oil flowing out of countershaft seal

2 replies to this topic
  • enrique

Posted July 12, 2005 - 01:07 PM

I recently bought awr 400 '98 whitch leaked a bit of oil. Therefor I went to the garage where they replaced the oil seal, the collar and the o-ring of the collar. After al this the oil isn't leaking anymore, it is flowing out of the seal :applause:. In the (!not professional!)garage they said maybe the axle was bent.

After that i took it home and did some own research and the axle isn't bent at all. And it seems like the oil is comming from between the collar and the seal. It is not the slack of the chain because it happens too when the sprocket is removed (not when the engine is not running).

Is it possible that the seal is badly placed or what could be another reason and what is the solution.

I would be very thankfull for any suggestion, i'm truly desperate.

See also thread; drive axle bent

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • trickwarrior

Posted July 12, 2005 - 01:15 PM

no expert but it sounds like they may have goofed up the new seal upon install. Just something to think bout. Good Luck Please post your overall results. :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 12, 2005 - 01:52 PM

There is a primary O-ring that keeps most of the oil away from the countershaft seal. You need to split the cases to replace it. Or live with a small leak at the countershaft sprocket even with a new seal. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.