2006 WR450 Heavier!

62 replies to this topic
  • ncmountainman

Posted July 16, 2005 - 06:30 AM

kevin,kevin, rmz? :applause:

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 16, 2005 - 10:45 AM

HEY NOW!!!!
I like my Yamaha. The YZF did have it's problems >> high center of gravity. The CRF has it's maybe yes / maybe no valve / cam issues.

The RMZ...well I don't know about the RMZ. I remember one TT'er RMZ engine ate itself >> isolated case???

The new YZF has supposedly fixed it's problems. I personally feel that the YZF has a better engine than the RMZ.

I use to race a Honda CR250 2 stroke. Boy, do I miss that bike!!! Forks were terrible (1991) but the engine SMOKED!
I was on transworldmotocross.com and they had 2 video's. One was on the 06 CRF450 that they loved of course, and the other on the RM250 2 stroke.
218# on the RM, plus the smell of pre-mix exhaust!!!
Being a torquer, I would have to stay w/ the 4 strokes, unless I bought myself that CR500 Service Honda!

BTW, any of you guys that read Dirt Rider, think the mag has gone down since Jimmy Lewis (I believe was a member here...???) took over from Ken Faught? Their website talks of it, brought on by a disgruntled subscriber.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 16, 2005 - 02:58 PM

now your talkin' a real bike,that service honda looks awesome and i think they're around $8500 new? shit i've got almost 10k in my yz and that thing would smoke it i'm sure. i used to have a IT490 and i miss that gut wrenching 2 smoke power :eek: from the looks of that new yz450 and what they've done to it,sounds sweet :applause:

• jwriott

Posted July 16, 2005 - 03:08 PM

I don't think it's gone down. Ken Faught is a moron.

I went back to a 2-stroke for now. The 04' 300 EXC is awesome off road and way less tiring than the WR426. In the future though, I'll probably buy another Thumper and keep the 300.

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 16, 2005 - 03:08 PM

dude,
I raced a YZ465G for 3 years.
man...did I love that bike!!!

• RADRick

Posted July 16, 2005 - 05:05 PM

BTW, any of you guys that read Dirt Rider, think the mag has gone down since Jimmy Lewis (I believe was a member here...???) took over from Ken Faught? Their website talks of it, brought on by a disgruntled subscriber.

Are you freakin' kidding me? What don't you like? All the in-depth comparos, the broad coverage, or the tons of technical info? Having worked for both Ken and Jimmy, I can honestly say the magazine is MUCH better today, even if I am a bit biased. :applause:

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 16, 2005 - 05:28 PM

Dude...CHILL!!!!

I NEVER said I did not like DR.

It is EASILY my favorite mag.

• MotoGoalie

Posted July 17, 2005 - 11:50 AM

Are you freakin' kidding me? What don't you like? All the in-depth comparos, the broad coverage, or the tons of technical info? Having worked for both Ken and Jimmy, I can honestly say the magazine is MUCH better today, even if I am a bit biased. :eek:

Since I WAS a subscriber and have purchased all of the mags at one time or another.

I'm dead nuts serious. Apart from YOU and a few other contributors....DIRT RIDER IS UNREADABLE.

The layout and advertising is HORRIFIC. Having an article span 10 pages of stupid assed advertising is the height of insanity. Also, much of the content is uninteresting and often the scoop or story is missed entirely in the various articles. Face it, competing with live coverage and the internet has relegated print media to a very narrow esoteric interest group out of the dirt biking population as a whole.

I'd rank Dirt Bike and MXA as the worst of the worst, DR a close second and everything else as far below the access that the net provides. Though, I do believe RacerX fulfills the magazine specialty genre the best out of all of em.

Again, no offense Rick, but "Coin" is hard to come by these days and if I want a CATALOG to buy things I'll get a FREE one from Chapparal or Rocky mountain.

BTW....MXA is the most poorly written of all of them. Almost every article has at least one obvious typo. It's like many of the articles was written in the manner of this and every other internet post, quickly in between doing important things at work. :)

The fact of the matter is most of this stuff is toilet bowl reading and if I'm faced with that or looking through a catalog....I'd rather thumb the catalog. :applause:

• RADRick

Posted July 17, 2005 - 12:23 PM

I'm dead nuts serious. Apart from YOU and a few other contributors....DIRT RIDER IS UNREADABLE.

Thanks, I think. :p

The layout and advertising is HORRIFIC. Having an article span 10 pages of stupid assed advertising is the height of insanity. Also, much of the content is uninteresting and often the scoop or story is missed entirely in the various articles.

If you knew how magazines work, you'd know that the editorial staff have little, if anything, to do with page layout. Those are decisions driven by publishers and advertising staff. We writers cringe when we see our articles chopped up by ads or strewn over the mag. DR at least tries to maintain continuity by almost never using the dreaded, "Continued on page..."

Face it, competing with live coverage and the internet has relegated print media to a very narrow esoteric interest group out of the dirt biking population as a whole.

Which is why DR is focusing more on tech and the kind of things you can't get from electronic media. In the May issue on pipe testing, I spent 3 solid days testing aftermarket pipes on a CRF450 and RMZ450. I don't see any web sites doing that kind of in-depth testing.

Again, no offense Rick, but "Coin" is hard to come by these days and if I want a CATALOG to buy things I'll get a FREE one from Chapparal or Rocky mountain.

Advertisers go where the readers are. The fact that DR has so many of them reflects its popularity and quality. Many people mistakenly believe that cover prices and subscription rates pay for the magazine. They don't even cover the cost of postage. Magazines, regardless of subject material, are advertising supported. The more ads DR has, the more budget they have to do more and better things. In a sport where the price of admission is in the thousands of dollars, $14 for a year's subscription seems like a pittance.

BTW....MXA is the most poorly written of all of them. Almost every article has at least one obvious typo. It's like many of the articles was written in the manner of this and every other internet post, quickly in between doing important things at work. :eek:

Were you expecting me to argue that? :p

The fact of the matter is most of this stuff is toilet bowl reading and if I'm faced with that or looking through a catalog....I'd rather thumb the catalog. :applause:

Catalogs rarely have valid comparisons between the items in them. Not every rider wants or needs to read magazines. As I've said before in here, magazines are primarily entertainment. They aren't service manuals or Consumer Reports. Obviously, they can't keep pace as reporting media given production lead times, but they have personalities and can often give you info you won't find anywhere else. And some people actually like looking at ads in between the awesome photography and insightful product testing. :)

• elton

Posted July 17, 2005 - 01:07 PM

What gives with the new 2006 WR450 weighing 5.1 lbs heavier than the 2005 and looks nearly the same and has the same specs????

When I tell KTM guys that the 05 WR450 is lighter than a 05 450exc, according to the published specs., they say that my 05 specifications are wrong (according to some magazine tests) -- so, maybe they got a more true weight.

Elton

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MotoGoalie

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:21 AM

Rick, I really appreciate your reply.

I also agree the subscription rate is dirt cheap.

I guess, I'm just fussy these days about some things. As long as you are doing what you enjoy and have a forum to do it, it's all good. Best wishes that things continue going well.

(I like reading the ingredients on the can of lysol.... :applause: )

• jwriott

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:44 AM

When I tell KTM guys that the 05 WR450 is lighter than a 05 450exc, according to the published specs., they say that my 05 specifications are wrong (according to some magazine tests) -- so, maybe they got a more true weight.

Elton

The WR450 is a lot heavier than an EXC450. Plus, the weight is higher up making it even worse.

• stonewall

Posted July 18, 2005 - 06:55 AM

The WR450 is a lot heavier than an EXC450. Plus, the weight is higher up making it even worse.

The '05 WR is 8.1 lbs. heavier than a '05 450 EXC, both ready to ride but without fuel. I weighed them myself on a certified scale.

• elton

Posted July 18, 2005 - 08:32 AM

Yeah, but its fun to screw with'em :applause:

I still think the WR is the best bang for the buck for 4-stks despite the weight difference. Its more powerful (after mods, even more with 3rd party exhaust), more fun mid hit, less maintenance and better out-of-the-box suspension.

However, I really dig KTM 2-strokes :eek:

Elton

• RADRick

Posted July 18, 2005 - 10:04 AM

I still think the WR is the best bang for the buck for 4-stks despite the weight difference. Its more powerful (after mods, ever more with 3rd party exhaust), more fun mid hit, less maintenance and better out-of-the-box suspension.

Exactly the reasons I bought mine. Not to mention, Yamaha dealers, parts and accessories are a lot easier to come by than KTM's. :applause:

• RADRick

Posted July 18, 2005 - 10:15 AM

Dude...CHILL!!!!

Sorry, but I take my work serious. As a freelance contributor, I can choose who I work for. I prefer DR over the rest because it is a quality rag. Jimmy has made it even more so. :)

I NEVER said I did not like DR.

One would be hard-pressed to think otherwise based on your comments. :applause:

It is EASILY my favorite mag.

Good to know, but I don't think those of us who work for a media outlet should bash competitors publically (except for Jody Weisel, who deserves every bit of derision he gets since he likes dishing it out). In the May issue I did a story on WR mods and gave recognition to TT in the source box. This place is great and has lots to offer, but the people who work here should be more sensitive about the things they say. I'm sure Bryan wouldn't like it if I wrote something negative about TT in an article. We need to be a bit more careful with our opinions when our words can be construed as being the viewpoint of our employers. :eek:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted July 18, 2005 - 11:06 AM

I like Dirt Rider! I get it free from one of the convicts that works for us. He has issues that aren't even out yet, it's awesome. He reads em in about a day, and gives them to me. :applause:

I'd take Dirt Rider over Dirt Bike anyday. Dirt Bike is like 10 pages long and even more jammed with ads. Plus Dirt Bike kind of has a condescending, negative, smart ass attitude I can live without. If I wanted to read crap like that.......I'd just reread all of my old posts. :)

Come on Rick where is my hug? No hard feelings brother. :eek:

• rpyfz450

Posted July 18, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Good point John! :applause: They may be pumping up the numbers back to reality. :eek:

It might have been a marketing tactic to make the aluminum framed-YZ look more appealing!

• jwriott

Posted July 18, 2005 - 02:31 PM

The '05 WR is 8.1 lbs. heavier than a '05 450 EXC, both ready to ride but without fuel. I weighed them myself on a certified scale.

Carrying 8.1 lbs. around all day makes a difference and most of that weight is up high which compounds the problem. It makes a huge difference for people like me who are vertically challenged.

• RADRick

Posted July 18, 2005 - 02:40 PM

Come on Rick where is my hug? No hard feelings brother. :p

I don't swing that way. :eek: Oh, alright, here: :) That's as close to a hug as you're getting. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.