2006 WR450 Heavier!

62 replies to this topic
  • ETP

Posted July 12, 2005 - 07:39 PM

What gives with the new 2006 WR450 weighing 5.1 lbs heavier than the 2005 and looks nearly the same and has the same specs????
I guess it must be the new 15.1 lb enduro computer that gets rid of the stock light weight 10.0 lb odometer! :applause:
[/IMG]

Five pounds more of seat foam, I hope........ :eek:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 12, 2005 - 07:49 PM

Yeah but on a gnarly hill climb it can cause some grief

I am seriously thinking that you shouldnt be in first gear on a narly hill climb. Its very hard to carry any speed or momentum in first gear. But I dont know what kind of hills you ride so I will shut up about that. Anyway, I put a 13 tooth countersprocket on my bike and now its perfect. I can idle uphill in first, 2nd is good for very technical steep hills(lots of grunt yet you can get enough speed to carry a little momentum) and I can fly up the really steep stuff in 3rd. Sweet.

• flatnacker

Posted July 12, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Nah I dont attack them in first-always second, but in second I do have to fan the clutch a little at times if I get stuck in a deep loose rut etc. These hills are NASTY-rocks, loose soil, stumps etc all from 4 metre run up!! What I was trying to get to is if 1st was just that little wider it would suit these types of situations perfectly. At the moment in second if you loose any momentum, get some wheel spin or slip into a rut you are basically screwed because you either have to fan the hell outa second or drop to first which then means another change back into second at some stage which then means a loss of momentum which thenm means back into first and ahhhhh you get my sense of frustration :applause: Maybe its just my shiddy riding style......

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted July 12, 2005 - 09:22 PM

I hear what you are saying. Each hill is different and each rider attacks it different. Try the 13 tooth, it may be just what the doctor ordered. :applause:

• jwriott

Posted July 13, 2005 - 07:02 AM

Vmax, Yep... It's got the 5 speed but it's a close ratio tranny, don't get me wrong I love close ratio transmissions but for true offroad conditions you can't beat wide ratio trannys. I've gotten myself into some pretty ugly situations on my WR where I thanked god for having such a short first gear. Funny, in the past I'm guilty of having the opinion that the WR was the fat ugly sister to the sexy YZ.. In some situations it is.. But I could never justify the change over to the YZ for the riding I do.. And, the older and fatter I get the more I love the magic button... Oh... The magic button.... :applause:

That's why I'd put a Rekluse in there and not have to worry about the clutch or e-start and still have a light bike. The weight of the WR is what mostly killed me in the tight stuff. I rode some trails 2 weeks ago that would have had me crawling back home if I were on the WR. With the 300, I smoked all my buddies on the thumpers and was still fresh at the end of the day when they looked like they were ready to die.

I think the WR426 was geared perfectly stock. I never needed a lower first gear even when I had to practically crawl through the nasty rocks, roots, etc. Yamaha just needs to come out with a YZ that has a WR gearbox and lighting coil.

As far as fatter and older, we must be on the same diet of good beer and I'm not getting any younger. :eek:

• RADRick

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:17 AM

I would rather slip in a nice WR tranny and maybe a flywheel weight.. A buddy of mine bought an 05 YZ450 for trail riding, he hated it and sold it after 2 months of riding.. 1st gear was just too tall for technical riding. He bought an RMZ450, he said it's night and day better for offroad than his YZ... (I just think he likes yellow bikes).. :applause:

Uhm, the RMZ450 is a 4-speed also.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 13, 2005 - 10:13 AM

probly a bigger battery so the e-start might actually work for more than 30 sec. :eek: i can truthfully tell you that a 05 yz with 13/52 gearing(14/50 is stock) will go more than 40 mph, closer to 70. it'll do 60 all day long. add a rekluse and a few bottom end mods and this things a woods weapon. i'm way faster on the yz than the wr :applause:

• xcracer123

Posted July 13, 2005 - 04:43 PM

maybe it's just a misprint? I was wondering the same thing though.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 13, 2005 - 09:17 PM

Uhm, the RMZ450 is a 4-speed also.

Yes I know Rick... That's why I inserted the "busted" smilie at the end meaning his liking for the RMZ over the YZ didn't quite make sence and he's biased to the yellow bikes... He claims the power delivery is smoother on the RMZ. Still 4 speed bikes do me no good..

I didn't realize how literal some of you might take me...

NC, C'mon.... Did you actually think I thought the top speed of a YZ450 is 40mph? My point, sprockets can't solve world peace.

• gregwr450f

Posted July 13, 2005 - 10:58 PM

Five pounds more of seat foam, I hope........ :applause:

That or a decent sized tank.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RADRick

Posted July 14, 2005 - 09:49 AM

Yes I know Rick... That's why I inserted the "busted" smilie at the end meaning his liking for the RMZ over the YZ didn't quite make sence and he's biased to the yellow bikes...

Damn Dan, that's asking a lot of a smiley, dontcha think? :eek:

He claims the power delivery is smoother on the RMZ. Still 4 speed bikes do me no good..

Actually, I'd have to agree. I felt the RMZ was a bit sluggish in stock form. I wouldn't buy a 4-speed, either.

I didn't realize how literal some of you might take me...

We are always vigilant. :applause:

• MotoGoalie

Posted July 14, 2005 - 10:15 AM

I would rather slip in a nice WR tranny and maybe a flywheel weight.. A buddy of mine bought an 05 YZ450 for trail riding, he hated it and sold it after 2 months of riding.. 1st gear was just too tall for technical riding. :

I trailride my yzf and its a TOTAL bitch to not have a LOW first gear or a high top end. Other than that it rules :applause:

• MotoGoalie

Posted July 14, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Yeah but on a gnarly hill climb it can cause some grief :applause:

Not really. I've been on switch backed goat trails that you could hardly walk up and shit all over myself because that YZFs first gear is a WRs 2nd or 3rd equivalent.

I like the light wieght and manuevaribility but the Close Ratio tranny in the hills sucks it.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 15, 2005 - 01:42 AM

Damn Dan, that's asking a lot of a smiley, dontcha think? :)

Actually, I'd have to agree. I felt the RMZ was a bit sluggish in stock form. I wouldn't buy a 4-speed, either.

We are always vigilant. :eek:

Copy that Rick... :applause:

• jwriott

Posted July 15, 2005 - 06:30 AM

Wholly crap Dan, do you ever sleep? :applause:

I agree that the 4-speed is a very poor choice for off road. The new 5-speed though, would give youa much wider range of gearing choices without sacrificing all the top end speed.

I wonder how many complaints Yamaha got over the last 3 years about the 4-speed? It has to just kill resale since most MX bikes eventually go into off road use.

• ncmountainman

Posted July 15, 2005 - 07:38 AM

i'd like to see the gear ratio used in 5th on the new bike,the old yz426 only had a few mph advantage in 5th compared to the 450 4th. grayracer published some stuff on that a while back. more than likely they just lowered 1st a little and put the shift gaps closer together. my 05 with 13/52 and a rekluse is damn near perfect for the tight eastern woods i ride. i can see how it would be an issue in the wide open. but comparing to my 04 wr450 the 4spd works better for me as i'm no longer hunting gears just 2nd and 3rd and yet 1st is tall enough to actually use in the tightness and get somewhere. i think 1st on the wr was designed to tow your buddies on hondas out of the woods with :applause:

• DIGITAL_SOLDIER

Posted July 15, 2005 - 01:31 PM

I'd love to see a 6th gear in the WRs actually. I'd like to cruise at 85mph and not have my RPMs at 10,000+. :applause:

• RADRick

Posted July 15, 2005 - 02:17 PM

I'd love to see a 6th gear in the WRs actually. I'd like to cruise at 85mph and not have my RPMs at 10,000+. :applause:

The lowly TTR250 has a six-speed, so I don't think it's a far-fetched idea for the WR, a bike that is sold in street-legal trim in a number of countries.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 15, 2005 - 08:59 PM

Wholly crap Dan, do you ever sleep? :eek:

:)

I worked late last night and decided to hit TT and a cold one before I hit the hay... :applause:

• MN_Kevin

Posted July 16, 2005 - 05:49 AM

Indy,
BE HAPPY!! I am STILL riding (not for 2 years nows though... :applause: ) my 99 420 Big Bore. What does this pig weigh (w/ rad guards, engine guard) ...270#???

Kevin

P.S.
If the Gods are looking out for me, a new job, new location and new RMZ450 or YELLOW YZ450 are in my future...

Those, plus a full time female bed partner...:eek:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.