The '06 sure looked good!!!

14 replies to this topic
  • Wyatt

Posted July 12, 2005 - 10:18 AM

Well, I saw the '06 450 in Lagun Seca. man, it sure looked good.

From sitting on the bike, it does not feel much different than my '04 as far as ergos. To me, that is a good thing. The bars and pegs felt good and the tank seems a little slimmer. The clutch pull was like butter. Very smooth and light.

Looking at the motor, it looks similar to previous years, until you really look close. Ofcourse, the front of the motor has the built in oil tank. The cylinder and head are much more upright. They are not tilted forward and are almost straight up and down. The new 5sp gearbox has the same ratios in 1st - 3rd as the 4 speed.

The yamaha rep told me that the bike weighs the same as the '05 model. Although many things were done to reduce weight, weight was added in places as well. He said the new forks are heavier because of the increased complexity of their design, the rear shock is beafier and heavier than before, ofcourse the 5 speed weighs more than the 4 speed did. The objective with this bike, he said, is where it carries its weight.

He also said that the motor is much more smooth and has been melowed even more to be more rideable.

It had a 739 on the fron and a 756 on the rear. It also had a small rubber buffer pad under the chain slider. Wear here has been a problem on the yamaha for years. All of the plastic has a different look and different lines than previous years.

The bike looked good....I can't wait until december

BTW.....I also saw the Kawi 450. The frame is very VERY similar in looks to the Honda. It just didn't look as good to me (fit and finish wise) as the Honda or Yamaha. Not very impressed. Ofcourse, performance may be a whole other issue....i just saw them sitting on the stand.

I also saw the Aprilla 450 twin cylinder 70hp. It is a awesome looking machine. Aprilla had one on display in motard trim. very cool

I also saw the original yamaha 4 stroke. it was Doug Henry's works bike.......also very cool to see. Got my picture with that one.

• ThumperKid250F

Posted July 12, 2005 - 10:28 AM

did u take any pics of the new 450 up close...

• Scooter426

Posted July 12, 2005 - 02:28 PM

I have some pics. I was at Laguna, as well. Not sure how to post them.

• Chills

Posted July 12, 2005 - 02:37 PM

I was kinda hoping they found an even medium in hit between the '03 and newer 450..I guess I just gotta wait till its in my garage to find out... My next big question is gonna be which pipe is gonna really wake this baby up...

• ThumperKid250F

Posted July 12, 2005 - 10:10 PM

I was kinda hoping they found an even medium in hit between the '03 and newer 450..I guess I just gotta wait till its in my garage to find out... My next big question is gonna be which pipe is gonna really wake this baby up...

i heard something about putting a aftermarket cdi on it or something but who knows.

NOBODY has ridding the 06 yz 450 yet so NOBODY knows what the power is like.

put please post pics....

• Scooter426

Posted July 13, 2005 - 01:35 PM

I sat on it and bounced up and down! It is rad. I emailed a pic to Satch and he is going to post it. Very cool bike. I love the color scheme. I got a jacket to match the color scheme from yamaha at the track. I can't wait to get the matching bike!

• RAMARION

Posted July 13, 2005 - 02:33 PM

I'm sad that it did not go on a diet..........Guess they don't want to play all their cards yet..............

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted July 13, 2005 - 02:38 PM

I heard this was the Yellow Hurricane Edition correct.......pics please... :applause:

• Satch0922

Posted July 13, 2005 - 05:09 PM

here is Scott's pic!
Posted Image

• RAMARION

Posted July 13, 2005 - 08:28 PM

here is Scott's pic!
Posted Image

OK, I can't believe that I was actually DROOLING while looking at that pic...... :applause:

The YZ will be back in the Garage for 2006..................

• ThumperKid250F

Posted July 13, 2005 - 09:33 PM

NEED MORE PICS....... wow they look nice dont they !!!!

• hackman162

Posted July 14, 2005 - 07:55 AM

OK, I can't believe that I was actually DROOLING while looking at that pic...... :applause:

The YZ will be back in the Garage for 2006..................

Nah Rick, if you want yellow, get the RMZ!!!!! (written by a guy who bleeds blue, but couldn't wait for the '06s)

--Hack-Man162
RMZ-450

• darksun27

Posted July 14, 2005 - 11:47 AM

myself i think that the 06 models look really ugly with the new design. They look like a crosseyed 05 version.

• YZ250F_Rider

Posted July 14, 2005 - 12:07 PM

He also said that the motor is much more smooth and has been melowed even more to be more rideable.

Can you say total pusy bike? :applause:

• RAMARION

Posted July 14, 2005 - 04:06 PM

Nah Rick, if you want yellow, get the RMZ!!!!! (written by a guy who bleeds blue, but couldn't wait for the '06s)

--Hack-Man162
RMZ-450

I've rode the 05 Suz, plus new Red, I feel more comforable on my 03 YZ.??????????????

I can't figure it out (maybe th $6.5K i shelled out :applause: )

You doing Hollister?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.