xr650l super motard wheel and tires?

32 replies to this topic
  • Old Dog

Posted February 07, 2011 - 08:54 PM

I like my Sumo setup, but I had to remove the wheels for "maintenance" last Summer (blew two spokes in the front, one in the back) and still haven't got them restrung. When I get the wheels restrung I'll be happy to get them back on the Piggy.

The rims are Excel, laced to Talon hubs riding on Contiforce SM tires. :thumbsup:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• MindBlower

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:09 PM

hey mindblower are those vfr wheels?

CBR600 and 900.
This bike is getting delivered tomorrow! :lol:

I really like the wheels, but the stock L fork needs rebuilt and I have a CR front end and brand new built Sun rim, Buchanon spokes and CRFX hub. And I have a 21" CR wheel for a knobbie. The one in the pic (front) is actually a XR400 wheel that I can't use (for sale)
So keep the bitchin looking CBR wheels and the crappy XRL fork?
Or put the uber-cool (and ultra nice performing on the street) USD forks and 17" black spoked wheels??
I"M TORN!! :thumbsup: (but leaning towards keeping the CBR wheels and sending the XRL fork out to be sprung/tuned and selling the spoked wheels and USD forks and returning the 350 to stock and selling)

Posted Image

Posted Image

• paranoid56

Posted February 07, 2011 - 09:49 PM

mindblower, any more info on those cbr rims? year? mods to make them fit?

• akarob

Posted February 09, 2011 - 06:18 AM

Don't you guys find that the bike's geometry isn't that stable over 70 mph? The front end tends to wobble a lot. It's set up more for the dirt. Changing over to 17" wheels does change the angles a bit though. I was just wondering if it was more stable.

The cheapest and easiest way to go is to just get some dual sport tires on the stock wheels. For a little more than $100, you can get two new tires and do all the street miles you want. I couldn't begin to comment on how the handling would compare to a 17" SM setup. The the dual sport tires aren't bad at all, plenty of grip.

• Old Dog

Posted February 09, 2011 - 11:43 AM

Don't you guys find that the bike's geometry isn't that stable over 70 mph? The front end tends to wobble a lot. It's set up more for the dirt. Changing over to 17" wheels does change the angles a bit though. I was just wondering if it was more stable.

I raised the fork tubes about a 1/2 inch in the triples, plus I have a lowering link, a fork brace and a steering damper. Mine's rock steady at 70+mph. :smirk: :rant:

• scarty111

Posted February 09, 2011 - 02:34 PM

The cheapest and easiest way to go is to just get some dual sport tires on the stock wheels. For a little more than $100, you can get two new tires and do all the street miles you want. I couldn't begin to comment on how the handling would compare to a 17" SM setup. The the dual sport tires aren't bad at all, plenty of grip.

I did 75 mph on the highway and everything felt fine!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dubkatz

Posted February 09, 2011 - 03:07 PM

does it have the same geometry as a cbr? No, of course not. Is it capable of 75 mph safely with a capable rider and appropriate tires? Of course. The easiest thing to do would be to stiffen the suspension as much as possible. first go in on all the klickers and try heavier fork oil.

• MindBlower

Posted February 09, 2011 - 06:02 PM

Don't go over 70mph but I would assume it gets a bit nervous. Long travel suspension is going to move. Stiffening it up is definately a big plus.
One of the largest positives about an USD fork is that brake dive is immensely reduced.

• soundtech

Posted February 17, 2011 - 04:16 PM

well i am taking the plunge and going the cheap way (18/21) with Shinko 705's they should be here tomorrow. I have the Dunlop 606's now front is shot back still has plenty of tread, thought i wanted a 90 off road 10 on but places to ride off road are rare around here more farms and such then trails. will start looking into another set of rims to mount up the dunlops on if i find more dirt to ride but it will be a mismatched set CR front and XRL rear.

• MindBlower

Posted February 17, 2011 - 09:58 PM

mindblower, any more info on those cbr rims? year? mods to make them fit?

Prior owner had them modified to fit, so I don't know the specifics. The hubs had to be narrowed. Machine work for sure.

• soundtech

Posted February 21, 2011 - 11:01 AM

Installed the Shinko's today the front went on well the back took some spooning will have to wait to try them out one it is snowing two i broke the pull throttle cable starting it up to dry it off after washing it the other day Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image [img]http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/soundtech1159/DSC02190.jpg[img] [img]http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/ae29/soundtech1159/DSC02195_2.jpg[/img]

• soundtech

Posted February 21, 2011 - 11:03 AM

Posted Image Posted Image

• soundtech

Posted March 19, 2011 - 11:37 AM

went out and put 70 miles on the Shinko's today they are real smooth on the road and handle gravel roads pretty good. Slipped a little on concrete roadways under full power through a corner but they only had 20 miles on them at the time and none of it was cornering think they are going to be a welcomed mod to the pig. Also had her up to 82 MPH and nice and stable

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.