4th Gear Slipping

6 replies to this topic
  • dcox11

Posted July 11, 2005 - 07:38 PM

4th gear is slipping. All other gears work fine. Any ideas?

• CHEEZE13

Posted July 12, 2005 - 05:04 AM

Yeah pull the motor split the cases replace 3rd and 4th pinion gears (these gears are meshed to each other through matching dog's the dog's get rounded, probably due to a bent shift fork and it starts popping in and out of gear) I would go ahead and replace all three shift forks and check for wear on the drive gears as well, that will be a min. I know cause I am doing the same thing to my 426. Good luck :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted July 12, 2005 - 07:31 AM

The cause of bent forks and/or rounded dogs is like the chicken/egg question. Bent forks will round off gear dogs by incompletely engaging them. Rounded gear dogs will bend a shift fork by making the gears force their way out of engagement against the fork. Ultimately, the cause is usually "lazy" shifting, crashing on the gear lever, or just a lot of time on gears not quite hard enough for the job. Either way, Cheese is correct.

Be sure to inspect the tooth faces as well as look for wear at the dogs, as 426's have been subject to flaking and spalling in that area. A good shift fork will show wear only at the fork ends, and not in the center of the 'C'. A fork that shows no center wear, and is not excessively worn on the thrust surfaces can be reused, but if there's any doubt, just replace them. It's too big a job to do twice, and, because of the layout, transmission problems are a threat to your engine.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Pincushion

Posted July 12, 2005 - 08:12 AM

Is it bad gear season? I've sure seen (and experienced) a lot of this lately.
My 2000 has some bunk gears that I found upon disassembly. They were not giving me problems, but they surely would have soon.

Cheese, you get that bike back together yet?
I'm still waiting on some damn parts to ship before I can finish reassembly. All I've managed so far is replace bearings.

• CHEEZE13

Posted July 12, 2005 - 10:32 AM

Pin
I am close to getting it back together, I too am waiting on parts. I went ahead and ordered a high comp piston to throw in as well. Trans it back together, I just went ahead and replaced all 3 shift forks, 3rd & 4th pinion, 4th gear, 5th gear, oil seals, head bolts, clips, and other various shit. How is it going with you. :applause: :eek:

• Pincushion

Posted July 12, 2005 - 10:47 AM

I'm still waiting for the damn oil pump from the mail order guys. I did get my gears in the other day, so I can put the trans back together I suppose. I'm SOL without that oil pump though.

Plus I'm still having second thoughts about my crank. This is the second rebuild with this crank and I have a funny feeling the rod bearing is gonna crap out on me (even though it feels great). The wife is gonna kill me if I spend any more money on this thing......

• CHEEZE13

Posted July 12, 2005 - 11:44 AM

The wife is gonna kill me if I spend any more money on this thing......

Second that my wife is hitting the limit on my spending craze too. :applause:

Related Content

Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.