$2000 AUD to spend, but what to spend it on?

7 replies to this topic
  • davepunc

Posted July 11, 2005 - 04:16 PM

G'day Guys,

i've got just over $2,000.00 to put into my 2004 YZ450F. At the present time, it's basically bone stock, and i want to get as much power as i can out of the bike and thinking about racing it next year.

I'd just like some ideas from you more experienced 450 owners of what would be the best things to do to the bike to get max power and a good all round bike.

Thanks.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 11, 2005 - 04:26 PM

Save the money for a rebuild after the racing season! These motors are expensive to rebuild compared to 2 strokes. Plenty of power stock you or Chad Reed dont need any more power to race.

• grayracer513

Posted July 11, 2005 - 04:53 PM

If you're going to race it, then my advice is this: It has enough power to be competitive. MX is more than 80% rider, less than 20% bike, so you need to make you faster. Spend the money on suspension. Buy the right springs for your weight, and get a good re-valve. Consider a set of 23mm clamps from Applied to make it turn quicker.

And then save some for a rebuild.

• crfmatt

Posted July 11, 2005 - 06:38 PM

If you're going to race it, then my advice is this: It has enough power to be competitive. MX is more than 80% rider, less than 20% bike, so you need to make you faster. Spend the money on suspension. Buy the right springs for your weight, and get a good re-valve. Consider a set of 23mm clamps from Applied to make it turn quicker.

And then save some for a rebuild.

True..but if you want more power anyway I would recomend a pipe,filter and re jet it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MattyH

Posted July 13, 2005 - 01:46 PM

throw a kibblewhite black diamond valve kit(s/s valves, ti springs and retainers) and a set of hotcams at it and while the head is off it get it flowed. if u get the valvetrain done properly you shouldnt need to rebuild it, just throw fresh cam chain at it at the end of the year and maybe a piston depending on how its going.

crfmatt is right about the pipe, filter(uni-filter pro comp 2's rock!) and jetting its the cheapest most effective way to get more outta your 450. and try find a shop that has a dyno with a air/fuel trace to do your jetting as some shops who shall remain nameless give you a full sik $2000 akrapovic exhaust and a bigger mainjet, which costs you both money and power. the best exhaust system in the world aint worth shit if the bike isn't jetted properly.

if you're after a reasonably priced australian made pipe look at barrett pipes, the guy that makes them is based around bell in nsw and dyno tests all of his pipes as he deveolps them to get the best out of them. i got a barrett header for my 450 for under $300 and the fmf is like $450.

as far as the steering goes gytr do a top triple and fatbar set for around the $330 mark and it is a pro taper bar and clamp. considering the price of pro taper i'll happily have gytr all over the bars if i get it for that price!

suspension. fun, fun, fun. what do you weigh? most of the suspension shops dont seem to be a worthwhile expense to me, one guy i ride with spent $1100 on his suspension, sent them away and everything, only to get them back and immediately complain like a whiney bitch(he is a ktm rider after all) and start altering the settings so it suited him! if you have the patience to get a flat bladed screwdriver and a spanner(hi speed comp on ur rear shock) and ride the sort of terrain you're gonna be dealing with mostly and work it out by adjusting clickers as you go (leave the tools in your vehicle and ride a small area is a good idea as i cant imagine getting nailed by a screwdriver if you come off being a pleasant experience at all)

• davepunc

Posted July 13, 2005 - 03:28 PM

thanks for all the input, MattyH you're info has been very useful...

• crayztwentyseven

Posted July 13, 2005 - 10:27 PM

Forget the bike go get some nice french whores, They're the best :applause: :eek: :) :p :p :p

• MattyH

Posted July 14, 2005 - 04:58 AM

glad to help davepunc,
was talkin to my mech today and he had an idea or two for some very cheap mods for the 450 that i could do myself, they're kinda involved in terms of descripton of how to do the work. email me at matthenderson_44@hotmail.com if u want the info

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.