52-rear and stock chain on '05 WR450

6 replies to this topic
  • mmdoctor

Posted July 11, 2005 - 12:26 PM

I'm considering going to a 52-tooth rear sprocket on my '05 WR450. I ride tight technical stuff and hillclimb exclusively. I heard a rumor the stock chain on the '05 will be too short if I increase the size of the rear sprocket. Any truth to that rumor? Thanks in advance for any help.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 11, 2005 - 01:28 PM

You might be OK with a 13/52 on the stock chain but you will be wheeling a lot with the rear axle all the way forward. Most people just run 13/50 with the stock chain. be prepared to buy 2 fronts for every chain. 13 tooth hooks quicker. :applause:

• Johnny34

Posted July 11, 2005 - 01:43 PM

I'm running a 13/50 set up for my '05 and I'm very happy with it. I ride in Tillamook, Oregon where it's a lot of tight, technical trails and hills. Oh hell, it's all hills, it's a freakin' forest! :applause:

Once I changed the countershaft sprocket I just had to adjust the chain a little. If a bigger rear is needed then the chain will have to grow a few links for sure.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • mmdoctor

Posted July 11, 2005 - 03:11 PM

thanks for the quick response fellas. i was considering going to a 13/50 set up, but i think that might be gearing down a little too much (also need to consider increased chain wear going smaller on the front). since dropping one tooth in the front is like adding four to the rear, i figured i'd choose something in between....adding just two to the rear (going to a 52) and leaving the front at the stock 14.

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted July 11, 2005 - 04:10 PM

thanks for the quick response fellas. i was considering going to a 13/50 set up, but i think that might be gearing down a little too much (also need to consider increased chain wear going smaller on the front). since dropping one tooth in the front is like adding four to the rear, i figured i'd choose something in between....adding just two to the rear (going to a 52) and leaving the front at the stock 14.

mmdoctor, its exactly what I'm going to do, but I will wait till I replace my chain. If you dont want to wait, just but a whole new chain now, save the stock unit if you use the 50 sprocket.

• Indy_WR450

Posted July 11, 2005 - 04:22 PM

Some big guys even go 13/52. I think 13/50 is perfect for technical riding. The chain will last as long but you will need 2 front sprockets to make it last as long as when using a 14 tooth front. :applause:

• herkdavis

Posted July 11, 2005 - 05:24 PM

I run 13/50 :applause: thinking about going to 13/52

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.