broken scaphoid?



33 replies to this topic
  • Sandracer_uk

Posted March 08, 2001 - 11:24 AM

#21

yep willdo
im a bit concerned now,,, concidering his speed at which he booked me in when i mentioned money, the docs here get a lot more money for private work then for NHS stuff.
his only comment was,,there is a small risk with any surgury,, but having and open reduction , the oucome is a lot more predictable,,,,,im seeing him on the 19th so ill see

  • DRZ400PA

Posted March 08, 2001 - 12:26 PM

#22

Any surgery has potential risks; bleeding ,infection, or even death. The surgeon should have explained this before obtaining your consent. This information must be made available to all patients independent of the type of surgery. This said, the surgery you had was performed under sterile conditions in a OR setting and aside from the small skin incision no hardware is in contact with the outside enviroment. Unless he spit on the site or used his pocketknife for the surgery, your risk of infection is next to none. Keep the site wrapped and clean until you follow-up.

The Herbert screw is unique to this type of fracture and unlike any other screw someone or someone's freind's uncle's sister had for their operation. The screw is threaded at it's end and head only. The middle of the screw has no threads. The pitch of the threads (distance between each thread) is different at each end. The purpose of the screw is to provide COMPRESSION of the two fracture fragments rather than just fixation. The Herbert screw will not "back out" like conventional screws.

Sleep well and drink your milk.

  • Sandracer_uk

Posted March 09, 2001 - 01:54 AM

#23

hell im drinking milk like crazy here,,
oh drz400 u sound like i might be able to sell u stuff,,,,,,,''can i interest u in immune modulating enteral feeds? haha

  • Sandracer_uk

Posted March 09, 2001 - 01:55 AM

#24

hell im drinking milk like crazy here,,
oh drz400 u sound like i might be able to sell u stuff,,,,,,,''can i interest u in immune modulating enteral feeds? haha

  • DRZ400PA

Posted March 09, 2001 - 05:22 AM

#25

Does it come in vanilla flavor?

  • Sandracer_uk

Posted March 09, 2001 - 05:41 AM

#26

peri oprative stuff does yep,,,, haha

  • overthebars_again

Posted March 09, 2001 - 04:11 PM

#27

After riding 360 miles through the desert and only 20 miles to go, I biffed while riding along some Railroad tracks. My riding partners dragged my bike off the tracks before the next train came through.

I looked down at my arm and saw blood running through my right hand glove. Everyone wanted me to take my glove off, but I was too chicken $hit and wasn't ready to view the damage. An off duty BLM guy gave me and my bike a ride back to my truck. A good friend of mine loaded all my crap into my truck and took me to the Barstow ER. Many thanks to you Dan. After cleaning up and getting xrayed, the ER DOC told me that I needed to see a specialist. We piled into an Ambulance at 4 am, and headed off to Loma Linda to see my Specialist.

Let me tell you, I don't remember much of what happened, but I do know the folks at Loma Linda are Pro's. I was in surgery by 5 am, and I'm told it took 1 1/2 hours. I know, this is gettin' kind of long and drawnout. Turns out that I splintered my thumb into 5 pieces. It took 2 plates and 8 screws to put my thumb back together. I fractured 3 bones in my wrist, one of them being the scaphoid, and I also fractured the Ulna.

I went to see my Doc in Valencia yesterday, and was about floored when he told me that I was lucky that I didn't rip my thumb off in the accident. WOW! Reality check. More bad news. The scaphoid seems to be a real bugger when it comes to healing, and the Doc told me that I had an 80% chance of it healing correctly. He told me, "If I had done the surgery, I would have put a plate on the scaphoid while I was in there. So now there's a 20% chance that the damn scaphoid won't heal correctly, and after wearing a cast for 4 months, then what? Another cast.

I'll be putting my YZ426 up for sale in a couple weeks, and will be looking for a 02 WR later on this year. I've seen my buddy Derrick ride his YZ like he was on fire. I have come to the conclusion that the YZ is a little too much for me in some areas, and a little less forgiving in others. You can't ride it like a spode.... Which I am. I broke 5 ribs when I went over the bars in a crash last May (hence overthebars_again moniker). I'm thinking, man I'm gettin' too old for this $hit.

Sorry to bore the hell out of you. Flames will be greeted with a drug induced calmness and perhaps a little giggling..

Peace

OTB_A :)

------------------

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Sandracer_uk

Posted March 09, 2001 - 10:55 PM

#28

fk mate,,,
sorry to hear u got busted up so bad,
the risks we take,,friends family and especially work just dont understand,,and i suspect they never will,, unless theyve felt the rush of howling along over ground that you'd struggle to walk on,,,on a bike that sounds like a violent storm,,
hope u heal soon

  • overthebars_again

Posted March 10, 2001 - 06:06 AM

#29

Hey Sandracer,
It comes with the territory bro. Some days your the bug, some days your the windshield... Where are you over there on that miserable, tiny little rock they call the UK. I spent 5 years over there. Dart leagues, Pubs, great beer, wonderful people, and fkdup weather... :)
otb_a

------------------

  • Sandracer_uk

Posted March 10, 2001 - 08:13 AM

#30

im in warwick,,, near stratford upon avon.[middle of uk]
did u also mention the warm beer too?
its been like a swamp here the past few months

  • overthebars_again

Posted March 10, 2001 - 10:15 PM

#31

Sandracer,

I remember stratford upon avon. I was at RAF Fairford, about 20 miles from Swindon. Warm Beer! Yuk, I forgot about the room temp beer man. But hey, as strong as your beer is, if you can get the first one down then the rest is all good. Wow, I can remember getting tanked up on one particular lager, playing darts all night, munching on scampi and chips. I had a lot of fun over there, but I'm a California boy at heart and missed the SoCal weather. Besides, you can't even get a good steak over there anymore!!! :)

------------------

  • Boit

Posted March 11, 2001 - 03:10 AM

#32

DRZ400PA: Thanks tons for the helpful email. I accidently deleted it(after reading) when it was mixed in with a bunch of that porno crap. Geez I hate that stuff! Anyway, I've been doing the hugging type stretches and have noticed a big decline in soreness. I'm almost back to 100%. Another week or two and I'll be fine. Thanks again!... :)

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 03-11-2001).]

  • DRZ400PA

Posted March 11, 2001 - 07:11 AM

#33

Boit,

Thanks for the follow-up. I'm glad you are feeling better. Any medical advice/info I can provide, don't hesitate to ask.

  • MN_Kevin

Posted March 11, 2001 - 07:54 AM

#34

For PT on a recovering wrist fracture, try a forearm blaster style exercisor. It is for tennis players. It is for isolating the wrist for exercise. You can flip it over to work your back hand muscles as well. I do swear by these things. You should find it at any major sports store.

It essentially allows you to do wrist curls. Variable preload tension on a spring allows you to vary the resistance.




 
x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.