1st enduro

14 replies to this topic
  • daverehm

Posted March 05, 2001 - 07:14 PM

I rode my first enduro Sunday. Great experience.I put a 12oz flywheel weight on my yz426. 25 miles into the race, I split the key that holds on the crankshaft/flywheel in half and that was the end of my ride. Has anyone had this problem? I also have pro tapers with a scotts dampner. The bars are too long for enduro. Will there be a problem if I cut them down a couple inches each side?
One more stupid question. My manual calls for 35 foot pounds torque for my flywheel. My torque whrench is inch pounds. Is that the same or do I multiply 35 times 12?
Thanks guys...I hope to do better in the greensboro enduro in two weeks.

------------------
God Bless

• PMAUST

Posted March 05, 2001 - 07:48 PM

Hi Dave, I can't answer your question about the flywheel but according the the instructions that came with my Pro-tapers the grip area should not be shortened to less than 7 inches. I was wondering myself about the length. I left mine stock for now because I wasn't sure what the advantage was to making them shorter. What was your experience on that? Thanks

• SFO

Posted March 05, 2001 - 08:01 PM

Originally posted by daverehm:
I rode my first enduro Sunday. Great experience.I put a 12oz flywheel weight on my yz426. 25 miles into the race, I split the key that holds on the crankshaft/flywheel in half and that was the end of my ride. Has anyone had this problem? I also have pro tapers with a scotts dampner. The bars are too long for enduro. Will there be a problem if I cut them down a couple inches each side?
One more stupid question. My manual calls for 35 foot pounds torque for my flywheel. My torque whrench is inch pounds. Is that the same or do I multiply 35 times 12?
Thanks guys...I hope to do better in the greensboro enduro in two weeks.

Yo dude, 12x1= 1 foot pound...
If you are asking this I wonder how you tightened your flywheel nut...
BTW, my yz 490 used to eat keys as well, I was always F'n with the timing to try to get it to stop pinging. That was a long time ago...In a far away universe...
I ended up scotchbriting all mating tapers and used a dab of red death on the taper as well before torquing to the prescribed figure upon final assembly.

I also have found that 1" is the max that I can cut my bars down and have everything fit.
Your results may vary, this is just my personal experience, not a disertation on the right and wrong way to pull a wrench...

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 05, 2001 - 08:14 PM

Dave be sure to lock-tight the flywheel nut when you install it that way it won't back off and cause the key to brake I also run the 12oz flywheel and no trouble works geart don't forget the lock-tight (red)

• daverehm

Posted March 05, 2001 - 08:41 PM

I'm guessing I need to invest in another torque wrench that has ft/pounds, not inch pounds. My torque wrench only goes up to 70 inch/pounds. I'm guessing I need to torque that flywheel to 420 inch/pounds or 35 foot/pounds. I'm learning as I go.
My Protapers seemed too long. The trails we rode were tight and I found myself having to stop and turn the bars to get between some trees. I think a little shorter bar would help me cruise a little better in tight spots in these enduros. I'm just curious if I will still be able to handle the bike as well with shorter bars.

------------------
God Bless

• SFO

Posted March 05, 2001 - 09:17 PM

Originally posted by daverehm:
I'm guessing I need to invest in another torque wrench that has ft/pounds, not inch pounds. My torque wrench only goes up to 70 inch/pounds. I'm guessing I need to torque that flywheel to 420 inch/pounds or 35 foot/pounds. I'm learning as I go.
My Protapers seemed too long. The trails we rode were tight and I found myself having to stop and turn the bars to get between some trees. I think a little shorter bar would help me cruise a little better in tight spots in these enduros. I'm just curious if I will still be able to handle the bike as well with shorter bars.

30" is the # I have derived, for handlebar width...
After you ride with cut down bars, regular bars feel like apehangers on a chopper.
If you get a foot pound torque wrench, snap-on has a clicker style that goes down to
7 foot pounds...
I use this one for most everything, it also goes up to 75, which covers swing arm bolts too...

• darbsitton

Posted March 06, 2001 - 06:26 AM

Does anyone have recommendations on bars that can be cut down shorter than 30"? I start running out of room for clutch/compression release/computer button/etc. if I go much shorter than that.
http://www.harborfreight.com has inexpensive torque wrenches and other tools.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SUnruh

Posted March 06, 2001 - 06:38 AM

darbsitton,
you have PLENTY of room!
you're just not using it correctly.
on the right side, remove the plastic spacer between the front brake master cylinder and throttle assembly. move the kill switch from the left side to the right side. VIOLA! plenty of room. besides, when are you really gonna push it?

also, i have my pro-tapers (Enduro-Hi bend) cut to 7" of control surface and there is plenty of room even with the kill switch on the left.

• daverehm

Posted March 06, 2001 - 10:05 PM

I will try 30 inches. I took back my torque wrench and bought a ft/pd. Works great. Hopefully this key won't break and I will be able to finish my next enduro.

------------------
God Bless

• Bryan

Posted March 06, 2001 - 01:07 PM

So, aside from the technical stuff daverehm, how was the enduro? Was it harder than you thought? Easier?
What class did you ride in?
My first one was last summer. It was the Montrose Enduro. My friend (Scarymyth from the DRZ forum) talked us all into riding 'B' our first race! (what a dirtbag!)
There were check points but only to be sure you weren't short cutting. They were all impossible to meet.
It was totally brutal and only 1/2 of the 'AA' riders didn't hour out!
Needless to say, I houred out in 'B'.
But Scarymyth kicked butt on his DRZ until he flatted in his 2nd lap. Our other friend, Dave on an XR400 (he just bought a WR250) took 6th in the 4 stroke class.

Bryan...

• kmcbride

Posted March 06, 2001 - 04:41 PM

Dave,
Glad to hear you at least got to ride some. I assume that all went well with the bike requirements. BTW, I have my bars cut to 29in. with MSR bark busters and everything fits fine. One inch may seem insignificant, but I have been riding enduros for a while and I swear I think the guys that lay out the course have a tape set at 29. Of course going through 2 huge oak trees! You will need to cut levers and I actually heated and tweaked my front break lever for one finger use. The bark busters can force an awkward front break mount. I have seen triple clamp mounted hand protectors that seem to allow more space. Good luck on the next one. Come try an ECEA enduro this spring, you will love it!
Keith.

• Guest_Guest_*

Posted March 06, 2001 - 05:10 PM

Hey Dave that tourque wrench post was for you,,,I hit the wrong button,,,soooo many buttons sooooo little time,,, Rick

• daverehm

Posted March 06, 2001 - 08:02 PM

I rode vet C class. My friend and I let another guy in our row lead. I went after him with all I had. After a few minutes, which seemed like hours, I looked at my computer and noticed I had only gone 3 miles.My arms were like rubber, my hands cramping, I was sweating like a pig and my entire 60 oz of gatorade was all over my back. My mouth piece fell off my camelback and it free flowed all over me. I slowed down and tried to take it easy and enjoy the ride. My first enduro was a learning experience. Hopefully I will try to pace myself in the next one in a week and a half. My goal is to finish it without houring out. My biggest problem was the length of my bars(Pro tapers) The trails were so tight, I had to stop several times just to fit between trees. I'm guessing a couple inches off each side will make a huge difference. I think I'm going to love enduros. We signed up for three in the next 5 weeks. I have made my yz426 into an enduro bike, but have decided to sell it and buy a wr426 or a wr250f. I will probably stay with the 426. I don't use the power a lot, but it is nice to have. :)

------------------
God Bless

• daverehm

Posted March 06, 2001 - 08:09 PM

By the way, it was much, much harder than I ever thought. I am still sore and I didn't even make a third of it. I thought I was in pretty good shape, but, boy, I was wrong. I invested a lot of time and money making my bike enduro legal. I have to say, 80% of the bikes had no tag, no lights, no silencer. The man next to use had a key chain liscense plate that said his name and that passed. I'm sure they are not all like that, but it was kind of amusing.

• Bryan

Posted March 07, 2001 - 06:23 AM

Great story daverehm. I felt EXACTLY the same after my first enduro. I was close to puking in my helmet.
It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. Even harder than expert mountain bike racing. At least in mountain bike racing when your body says stop, you just slow down. You don't necessarily want to DIE!
I'll tell you what though, the next narly rocky ride I did after that enduro: I SMOKED through it. It certainly makes you a better rider.

I can't wait for my next. Well, sort of...

Bryan...

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.