Plate advice

5 replies to this topic
  • TBone_Boston

Posted July 11, 2005 - 03:25 AM

Does anyone have a suggestion for best way to attach a (Mass. ATV) plate to an '05 wr450? Is there a particular bracket that works well? Or is it better to mount it vertically on the fender with zip ties? Did you drill holes in the plastic?

Thanks in advance

• extex

Posted July 11, 2005 - 05:50 AM

I had the same question and mounted mine with some metal strapping to the single bolt that goes up to the taillight. I saw the picture of Dan Lorenze's mount on the post about the Acerbis tank and it looked exactly like that. I even put a small light in just behind it for a license plate light. Unfortunately the rear tire grabbed it on two different occasions and ripped it off. I was using fairly light weight strapping so maybe Dan is using a firmer mount. (What do you use Dan?) If it angles back, like on his bike, it should not catch the tire. However I drilled a couple of holes in the fender and mounted it on top, behind the taillight. The angle is bad, obviously, but I figured I would wait for a policeman to tell me that....and I figure one will at some point.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted July 11, 2005 - 06:21 AM

I like the one made by Scotts... An Aussie company makes a nice one too, I forget their name. Here's the Scotts unit..

http://www.scottsper...photos2/154.jpg :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bfly

Posted July 11, 2005 - 08:09 AM

I have the Scotts one but would probably get this one if I had to do it all over again. The Scotts one allows the plate to flex around too much. I have already lost one plate due to this. I wound up making a metal backing plate to keep this from happening again.

• TBone_Boston

Posted July 11, 2005 - 10:17 AM

Thanks everyone - I'm looking into that tnr designs one before I buy. Looks pretty good! Might also get the scotss and just reinforce it.

Thanks again!

• prairiedawg

Posted July 12, 2005 - 06:59 AM

Right from the TT store is a rubber piece that's the size of mostr liscence plates. You put four flathead bolts through the tubber and into the rear fender. You then mount the plate to the rubber. I use the type of nuts that are self locking witha plastic insert in them. It makes for a clean and pro looking mount and costs about 5-7 bucks. prairiedawg :applause:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.