yzf 400 starting and pipe question.

2 replies to this topic
  • renagadecoupe

Posted July 10, 2005 - 10:27 PM

ok now i am new to the 4 stroke dream.just converted from my loving two strokes.just picked up a 1999 yzf400 that i think is in very nice condition.new wheels graphics,and the list goes on and on.my first question is i have a hard time sarting this thing.guy told me to twist throttle 4-5 times then wait till it gets to hard spot then kick.well my leg is about to fall off.i hate haveing to push it off.help please. my next question is the only thing stock by eye is the factory exhaust.and am wondering if or what pie to get for it.i am strictly going to race and don't nessicarly want the most expensive thing out there.just a good pipe and or would just a silencer do.and what about jetting. all help would be grateful.i really like my new bike just want it to suit me better thanks for the help guys.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Yak

Posted July 10, 2005 - 11:00 PM

4-5 throttle twists is excessive. 1-2 MAYBE, if it hasn't been started in a while. I'm betting that your sparkplug is fouled with soot and now its drenched in fuel. Its not gonna start, save your leg. You need to replace the sparkplug first. NGK CR8E.

starting procedure works like this:

slowly kick over bike till it gets to the hard spot (TDC)
pull in the compression release
kick down another 1-2 inches past TDC
release the compression release
return kick start lever to top
kick though with full kick.

DO NOT keep twisting the throttle.

Trust me on this, you can kick on a fouled plug all day and get nothing. Change plug and if everything else is in working order, including proper jetting, it will start.

• renagadecoupe

Posted July 11, 2005 - 09:17 AM

thanks for the info it did help and the new plug made a difference. still looking for an aftermarket pipe if anyone has one for sale

Related Content

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

yz400f throttle bog by yz400fmaniac

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  28 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.